This Creamy Roasted Carrot Soup is easy to make and so delicious. It's topped with some crispy chickpea croutons for a healthy spring dinner recipe that is naturally vegan + gluten-free.
Spring has officially arrived and I made us a big pot of roasted carrot soup to celebrate! 🥕🥕🥕
I'm dedicating this to all of us spring lovers who have hastily packed away our winter gear. Heavy jackets be gone! See ya faux fur lined boots!
Only early spring around here means plenty of sunny warm days, but also plenty of chilly, rainy days. Today's one of the chilly ones, and it's perfect for turning on the oven to roast some carrots and turning them into soup.
This recipe was inspired by those days when you've been teased with warm weather and now the clouds have rolled in and the chill in the air snuck back. By roasting spring's new carrots you get to make them extra sweet and warm your home (soul) while you're at it.
Croutons in your soup are … a must. They're like a grown ups version of those saltine crackers. Remember those? When I was a kid I'd load them into my bowl of Campbell's mushroom soup. #bestever
Crispy chickpeas are a hybrid crouton for us open-minded peeps who don't mind getting a little crazy with our bowl soup. They're no saltine cracker, but they're a bit crispy and add a little something to the creamy soup.
If you make this Creamy Roasted Carrot Soup with Crispy Chickpea Croutons make sure you snap a pic and tag #theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create!
- 1.5 lbs. carrots, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 medium red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups broth or water
- ½ teaspoon chili powder, cumin
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, more to taste
- Juice from 1 lemon
- A pinch or two of cayenne
- 1 - 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon each: olive oil and nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon each: garlic powder and chili powder
- A generous pinch of salt and pepper
- Mint, parsley, chili powder, sesame seeds, plain yogurt or vegan alternative
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the carrots and onions on a large baking sheet and drizzle with the oil. Roast in your oven for 50-60 minutes, turning halfway. You want the carrots to have lots of dark brown spots. Don't worry if the onions look very brown.
- Dry the chickpeas well between sheets of paper towel then transfer then to a baking sheet. Drizzle with the oil then with the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, chili powder, sea salt, and pepper. Mix well then pop in your oven with the carrots and let them roast for 30-40 minutes, or until they are crispy.
- When the carrots and onions have finished roasting, place them in your high-powered blender or food processor along with the broth or water. Blend on high until smooth. Pour the soup into a medium sized pot and add all the remaining soup ingredients. Taste and adjust the salt. You will need considerably more salt if you use water rather than broth.
- Serve the soup topped with the crispy chickpeas and any or all of the toppings.
More delicious vegan soup recipes: