Black Rice Salad with Mango and Cashews
I'm trying to look at the bright side of things. Having a big bowl of this colourful salad sitting to my left and a bowl empty of all but a few grains of black rice, that seems to belong on the bright side of things. The '80s party that I was super excited about I no longer have to miss, also on the bright side. Clean house, bright side. Having a party cancel their reservation at the supper club last minute, not so bright side. But what the hell, I have this black rice salad, an '80s party and a clean house; life is looking good.
I have a habit of making food for dinner parties, both that I throw for my friends and that people book at the supper club, that I've never made before. I know I know, it's not exactly playing it safe. But it is a lot more fun. This black rice salad with mango and cashews was one of those dishes I prepared for a group without first trying it out on myself. It was a huge win.
I'm a big fan of combining sweet and savoury flavours. The nutty forbidden black rice, sweet mango, orange and crunchy toasted cashews make every bite a happy one. You can prepare this salad several hours in advance so it is perfect for a dinner party or to take on a picnic. It also keeps really well for a day or two in the fridge. Serve it with this pecan crusted salmon or sesame ginger baked chicken for an easy, healthy and delicious meal.
If you make Black Rice Salad with Mango and Cashews make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.Print
This delicious black rice salad is made with black forbidden rice, sweet mangoes, oranges and crunchy cashews. It's as pretty as it is easy to make!
- 2 oranges
- 1/4 fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons neutral flavoured oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 cups black rice
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2” dice
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup toasted chopped cashews
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and finely minced
- Cook the black rice according to package directions. Set aside for, covered, for 15 minutes once cooking is complete.
- Cut the tops and bottoms off each orange then cut the skin off of each, making sure there is not white pith. Working over a bowl to catch the juices, use a small sharp knife to cut between each membrane to release the orange segments. Once all orange segments have been removed, squeeze the juice from the membrane. Cut the orange segments in half and set aside.
- Strain the orange juice into a small bowl. Add the lime juice, oil and fish sauce and whisk. Set aside.
- Spread cooked rice out on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with dressing and season generously with salt. Mix well and set aside to cool.
- Place all other ingredients in a large bowl. Add rice and toss gently to combine. Season with more salt and lime juice if desired.