You’d never guess that these rich and delicious Triple Chocolate Banana Muffins are healthy. They’re paleo and gluten-free and made without any flour, sugar, grains or dairy. If you like chocolate muffins, you will love these chocolate banana muffins!
Friends! I made you muffins! But these aren’t any ordinary muffins. Oh no, they’re not. They look and TASTE like the richest, chocolate-iest, most decadent, and bad-for-you muffins ever, but it’s all a disguise.
That’s right, these addictive Triple Chocolate Banana Muffins are HEALTHY, too! It’s crazy, I know.
Ever since I went on that Paleo Breakfast Muffin kick a little while back, I’ve been all about healthy muffins. Before I figured out that muffins didn’t have to be loaded with flour and sugar, I never made them. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes flour and sugar can be delicious. Like, if you’re making Bourbon Coconut Cupcakes. But it didn’t seem worth it to me to eat something that’s basically a cupcake, but totally not at the same time.
Giving it up big time for healthy chocolate banana muffins!
All the sweetness (and there’s plenty of it) comes from four ripe bananas. The ‘flour’ is almond flour … aka ground up almonds. And there are eggs, which of course are delicious and good for you. I’ve used dark chocolate, cocoa powder, and cacao nibs for the triple chocolate part of these deelish muffins.
Think of it as having a banana, scrambled eggs and a handful of almonds for breakfast, only in chocolate banana muffin form.
Breakfast just got a whole lot more awesome.
I have to say a giant THANK YOU to my sister. She’s the one who got me hooked on this whole banana/ paleo/ healthy muffin thing. When I first heard about it, I was all, “Ya, I don’t think so!”
I couldn’t begin to imagine how muffins could be healthy AND delicious. I seriously could not wrap my head around that. But she persisted, and now we’re one month into this muffin addiction and it’s showing no signs of stopping.
So tell me, do you have a healthy muffin recipe?
If you make these Triple Chocolate Banana Muffins make sure you snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 large bananas, mashed (see notes)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup almond flour (almond meal)
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Optional: 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (use paleo chocolate chips, if needed)
- Optional: ¼ cup cacao nibs
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin liners. Melt the coconut oil in a small pan over medium heat. Note: if your walnuts are not toasted, pop them in the oven to toast while the oven is heating.
- In a large bowl add the mashed bananas, eggs, almond flour, cocoa powder, vanilla, baking powder, sea salt, and, if using, the espresso powder. Beat well using an electric mixer. Stir through the walnuts, dark chocolate chips, and, if using, the cacao nibs.
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin liners, filling each to the very top. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the muffins comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes in the tin, then remove them and let them finish cooling on a cooling rack.