The problem with cookie dough is that much of it never makes it into cookies. It has a never ending habit of disappearing, pinch by pinch, until only enough remains to make a few cookies. By that point, I'm usually over the cookies.
It wasn't much of a challenge to decide which ice cream should kick off Ice Cream Sundays; chocolate chip cookie dough has always ranked number 1 on y list. Ya ya, I know it's not fancy or particularly gourmet, but damn it's good!
The vanilla ice cream base is an ever so slightly modified version from the Perfect Scoop. I added extra vanilla extract to keep the ice cream softer longer and to give the already perfect vanilla ice cream just a little extra flavour. It's creamy and soft and full of delicious vanilla flavour.
You can use your favourite cookie dough recipe. The one I use makes kick ass soft, chewy cookies when they make it into cookies. I know there's a lot of fear on the internet about eating raw eggs and if you are someone who is concerned about this, then I would suggest leaving them out. I figure that since myself and every other person I know has been eating raw cookie dough since before we could walk, the tiny little risk is one I'm willing to take. You need to do what you feel comfortable with.
You can make cookies from the leftover cookie dough if there is any. I froze 1″ balls of cookie dough in the freezer so I can take them out later and bake them one at a time. Perhaps I'll enjoy them more when my stomach's not bursting with raw cookie dough.
- 1 cup whole milk
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped of seeds
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Your favourite cookie dough recipe, formed into tiny balls. I used this recipe. Place the balls in the freezer until you are ready to use them.
- Heat the milk, salt and sugar in a saucepan. Add the vanilla bean and seeds then cover and let the milk infuse for 1 hour.
- Pour the cream into a large bowl and place a fine strainer over the top. Set aside.
- Whisk the egg yolks together in a medium-sized bowl. Remove the vanilla bean from the milk then gently rewarm it. Slowly add the warmed milk to egg yolks. Stir to combine then pour the milk back into the saucepan.
- On low heat, stirring constantly, cook the mixture until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain the thickened milk into the cream. Add the vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Place the cream in the fridge until it is completely cold, and then follow your ice cream maker’s directions to freeze ice cream.
- Stir in chunks of the cookie dough after the ice cream is made.
- Eat and feel like a kid again!
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- Coconut Black Lentil Curry (vegan dal makhani) - February 24, 2017
- Coconut Lemon Energy Balls - February 21, 2017
- Sweet Potato Noodle Stir Fry with Thai Peanut Lime Sauce - February 17, 2017