What’s your go-to, easy to make comfort meal? Mine’s this black bean and corn chilli with avocado salsa. I’ve been making it for so many years that I’ve forgotten where the recipe first came from, and whether or not my version now even resembles the original. Doesn’t matter, I love it.
The crunchy corn and the smooth avocado and the creamy melted cheese all blend together to scream delicious comfort. This is the kind of meal you want to eat in your pj’s when you’ve taken a day off work. Or the kind of meal you want to come home to after a long day.
It’s also healthy, quick to make, reheats awesome and will be a hit with your kids (yes, yes, yes and yes!) You want to make this
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 red or green pepper, minced
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 28oz can whole stewed tomatoes (break them up into smaller pieces using your hands)
- 2 cans black beans
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- Optional: ¼ cup prawn stock (while you won’t taste it it will add depth to the dish)
- 1 avocado, diced
- A squeeze of lime juice
- Oil for sautéing
- Mozzarella or cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add red pepper and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add salsa, tomatoes and black beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add corn and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 more minutes
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Gently toss the avocado in lime juice.
- To serve, ladle into bowls, top with cheese and avocado salsa.
Want some more yummy comfort food recipes? Check out: