Ok … so I know it’s not exactly turn on your oven weather but I just couldn’t help but share this baked sweet potato latke recipe with you. I mean look at all those crispy bits of sweet potatoes. How could I not share this with you? It just wouldn’t be right to keep this all to myself.
There’s the crispy bits on the outside (ya, I know I’ve already said that but I think that’s the best part) and the sweet soft potato-y insides and with a big dollop of sour cream on top they’re a little bit of heaven.
Dollop … Don’t you just love that Word? Looks funny to write and sounds even sillier. Seriously, try saying it out loud. I bet you’ll be giggling too
If you guys are making this for a dinner party, like I did, you can easily get them organized several hours ahead, or even the night before. Just get them all lined up on baking trays, cover them with some plastic wrap and pop them into your fridge. It will make your life super simple when all you have to do is pull them out of the fridge and pop them into the oven a half hour before dinner.
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, grated (about 3 medium)
- 2 medium onions, grated
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup panko (or substitute regular bread crumbs)
- 3 cloves of garlic, grated on a microplane or very finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel sweet potatoes and grate them, using the large holes on the grater, into a large bowl.
- Peel and grate the onion. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible using your hands then add the grated onion to the bowl with the sweet potatoes.
- Add all other ingredients and mix well. I find that using my hands for this works the best.
- Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper. Using a ¼ cup measuring scoop, create 12 mounds on each of the baking trays (24 in total.)
- Using your finger tips, gently press the tops of each of the latkes down and form into rough circles.
- Brush the tops with the oil and bake in the preheated oven for 25-35 minutes, depending on how crispy and dark you want your latkes to be. Rotate trays half way through cooking.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 2 minutes before removing from tray.
- Serve plain or topped with sour cream.