Vegan Purple Sweet Potato Pie
Vegan Purple Sweet Potato Pie is as delicious as it is pretty. It's made with purple yams, which gives it a totally natural bright purple color. It's a showstopper!
The man standing behind me in line at the grocery store today asked if I had any plans for my days off. It took a solid few seconds of looking at him with scrunched eyebrows before I realized what he was talking about. Easter! Now it makes so much more sense why all the Cadbury Easter Eggs have been showing up at checkout tills all over town.
There must have been some sort of intuition thing going on since I made this purple sweet potato pie for you and it just so happens that it would be perrrrrfect with Easter dinner. I must have ESP.
→ Disclaimer ← This pretty purple sweet potato pie is actually made with a type of yam called ube yams or purple yams. I didn't think yam pie sounded as good as sweet potato pie, and since everyone always mixes the two up anyway, I thought I'd just go with it. But hey, now you know!
These extra sweet yams sit on top of a crust made with nothing but healthy, good for you ingredients. I'm a girl who loves her pies with super flaky, buttery crust, but I don't miss it one bit with this coconut almond crust. And dolloped on top is a vegan whipped cream that (I swear!) I like better than the real thing. It might sound crazy, but it's true.
Oh ya, this purple sweet potato pie just so happens to be paleo and gluten-free too. Just sayin'.
So where do you find purple ube yams?
If you live in Vancouver, you head on over to Sunrise Market or T&T. If you and I don't both call this lovely city home, then your best bet is to head to the nearest Asian market. They look just like a regular yam only their skin is a dark purple color and, normally, they are skinnier.
If you can't find any, you could easily substitute regular orange sweet potatoes instead.
If you find some make sure to buy a few extra so you can make this purple sweet potato pie AND this Mashed Purple Yams with Sesame Brown Butter recipe.
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
Favorite vegan dessert recipes:
- Vegan Chocolate Pumpkin Pie
- Healthy Almond Joy Stuffed Dates
- Amaretto Peach Cobbler
- Vanilla Cashew Butter Cups
- Guinness Chocolate Cake with Irish Whiskey Frosting
- Pretty Pink Vegan Strawberry Cream Pie
Vegan Purple Sweet Potato Pie with Coconut Almond Crust
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil, plus more for the pan
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 lb purple yams, peeled and cut into 1-inch rounds (about 4 cups worth)
- ¾ cup canned coconut milk, not light!
- ½ cup maple syrup, see notes
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, neither amounts are very spicy but the ½ teaspoon does stand out more
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 can coconut milk, see notes
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9″ pie pan with coconut oil.
- Mix all the crust ingredients in a large bowl then transfer them to the prepared pie pan. Wet your hands lightly to prevent the crust from sticking to them then press the crust into the pan, making sure it is even on the sides and bottom.1 cup almond meal, 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, ¼ cup melted coconut oil, ¼ cup maple syrup, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Bake the crust in the oven for 10 minutes. When you remove it from the oven, the crust will be puffed up and light golden brown. Use the back of a spoon to gently push the crust down so there is room for the filling.
- Bring an inch of water to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Add the purple yams and steam for 10 minutes, or until the yams can be pierced with a fork. Drain the yams then put them in a high-powered blender or food processor.2 lb purple yams
- Add the rest of the pie filling ingredients and blend on high until everything is smooth and creamy.¾ cup canned coconut milk, ½ cup maple syrup, 2 tablespoons tapioca starch, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, ½ teaspoon allspice, ¼ – ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Pour the pie filling into the baked pie shell and smooth out the top. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the pie has set but still has a little jiggle in the middle. Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely before serving it.
Coconut Whipped Cream
- Set the can of coconut milk in the fridge for at least 1 hour, but preferably overnight. You want the cream and the milk to separate, and this is easier if it is very cold.1 can coconut milk
- Separate the hard cream from the watery milk. Put the cream in a large bowl and add the powdered sugar. Using electric beaters, beat the cream for 2-3 minutes. It won't form stiff peaks like regular whipped cream, but it will be stiff enough to dollop.2 tablespoons powdered sugar