This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This is a showstopper of a pie! This vegan purple sweet potato pie has a natural, bright purple color, a sweet and creamy filling, and is surrounded by a coconut almond crust. Add some vegan coconut whipped cream and you're in heaven!
Also, try this vegan strawberry cream pie to satisfy all your cream pie cravings!
Like the sister to pumpkin pie, this vegan purple sweet potato pie is just as flavorful using all the soul-warming spices: cinnamon, allspice, and ground ginger.
Using ingredients like coconut milk, maple syrup and almond meal makes sure this recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, and entirely vegan – so no one will be left out of this perfect dessert moment!
What are purple ube yams?
Never seen purple sweet potatoes or yams before? Let's break down the magic behind that bright purple pie!
This pretty vegan purple sweet potato pie is actually made with a type of yam called ube yams or purple yams. They range in colour from lavender to vibrant purple.
Yams and sweet potatoes are not the same thing, but they're pretty close, and for the purposes of this vegan purple sweet potato pie recipe, purple yams easily substitute for traditional sweet potatoes. No one eating this cream pie will know the difference, especially when there's no compromise on flavor or texture – it's delicious!
Do purple yams taste different?
Purple yams are sweet, however, more starchy than orange yams or sweet potatoes. They're quite similar, so you can use them all the same in your cooking or baking.
Where do you get purple yams?
If you don't spot purple yams or purple sweet potatoes in your local grocery store, you may have to head to an Asian market or store to find them. If you can't find any, you can easily substitute regular orange sweet potatoes instead.
How to make vegan purple sweet potato pie
Let's break this down into the components of the pie: the pie crust and the sweet potato pie filling:
- Combine the crust ingredients: Once you've preheated the oven and greased the pie dish, combine all the crust ingredients. Then, gently press the crust into the pie plate.
- Bake the crust: Pop the crust in the oven for 10 minutes. If your crust puffs up, you can press it back into shape using the back of a wooden spoon.
- Prepare the filling ingredients: Boil your purple yams or sweet potatoes until fork-tender. Drain the water, and put them in the blender or food processor until creamy.
- Add to the blender: Put the rest of the pie filling ingredients into the blender with the creamy potatoes, blending until you have a smooth consistency.
- Bake the filling: Pour your pie filling over the baked crust and let it bake for about 45 minutes.
Enjoy with a dollop of vegan coconut whipped cream!
What to serve with vegan purple sweet potato pie
Not only is vegan purple sweet potato pie worthy of your Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas (or any other holiday) spread, it's also the perfect finishing note to a Sunday dinner with family.
Here are some ideas of what to serve with your cream pie:
- This vegan shepherd's pie makes a hearty main course.
- Mashed potatoes with vegan mushroom gravy.
- Omit the bacon from these holiday roasted vegetables for a plant-based side.
- This delicious stuffing recipe is baked and 100% vegan.
- Try this tasty vegan green bean casserole.
- Or go purple crazy and make these mashed purple sweet potatoes. You'll need to use vegan versions for the butter and milk, but they'll still be delicious!
Is sweet potato pie like pumpkin pie?
It's a close cousin to pumpkin pie, sharing some of the same ingredients and flavors as well as a similar texture.
Can I use orange yams or sweet potatoes instead of purple?
You can absolutely swap in any orange variety of yam or sweet potato to make this vegan purple sweet potato pie.
Is vegan purple sweet potato pie gluten-free?
It sure is! Sweet potatoes are gluten-free, as is the coconut almond pie crust used in this recipe.
How to store sweet potato pie?
Let the pie cool completely before storing it. Cover the pie with a reusable wrapper or tin foil and place in the fridge for 2-3 days. If wrapped tightly in parchment paper and then tin foil, it will keep in the freezer for a couple of months.
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil (plus more for the pan)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 lb purple yams (peeled and cut into 1-inch rounds (about 4 cups worth))
- ¾ cup canned coconut milk (not light!)
- ½ cup maple syrup (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (neither amounts are very spicy but the ½ teaspoon does stand out more)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Coconut whipped cream (to serve)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9" pie pan with coconut oil.
- Mix all the crust ingredients in a large bowl then transfer them to the prepared pie pan. Wet your hands lightly to prevent the crust from sticking to them then press the crust into the pan, making sure it is even on the sides and bottom.1 cup almond meal, 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, ¼ cup melted coconut oil, ¼ cup maple syrup, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Bake the crust in the oven for 10 minutes. When you remove it from the oven, the crust will be puffed up and light golden brown. Use the back of a spoon to gently push the crust down so there is room for the filling.
- Bring an inch of water to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Add the purple yams and steam for 10 minutes, or until the yams can be pierced with a fork. Drain the yams then put them in a high-powered blender or food processor.2 lb purple yams
- Add the rest of the pie filling ingredients and blend on high until everything is smooth and creamy.¾ cup canned coconut milk, ½ cup maple syrup, 2 tablespoons tapioca starch, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, ½ teaspoon allspice, ¼ – ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Pour the pie filling into the baked pie shell and smooth out the top. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the pie has set but still has a little jiggle in the middle. Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely before serving it.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.