This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Enjoy this flavorful tomato avocado toast as a light meal, or slice it up and serve it as an appetizer. Grilled sourdough is topped with ripe avocado, sautéed cherry tomatoes, parmesan, and basil, then drizzled with balsamic glaze. It's easy to make and ready in just 10 minutes!
If you love avocado toast, here's a simple recipe for a variation that feels fancy without the fuss. Avocado tomato toast is a healthy anytime meal made with only fresh and wholesome ingredients.
Sourdough bread is topped with mashed ripe avocado and then layered with simple sautéed cherry tomatoes, parmesan cheese, and basil. Then we drizzle it all with a sweet balsamic glaze. It's so simple to make and uses just one pan so clean-up is a breeze. Plus, it's ready in just 10 minutes!
We love this recipe year-round, but in the summer we eat it the most. It's practically no-cook (you only turn on your stove for a few minutes!) and sweet summer tomatoes truly taste the best.
What you'll need
You just need a few ingredients to make this gourmet toast recipe. Here's everything you'll need to make avocado toast with tomato:
- Olive oil – for grilling the bread and making it golden.
- Sourdough bread – we love the slightly tangy taste of sourdough for layering on delicious toppings.
- Cherry tomatoes – flavorful cherry tomatoes get sautéed until sweet.
- Rosemary – this woodsy herb adds lots of fresh flavor.
- Salt + pepper – classic seasonings enhance all the other flavors.
- Avocado – ripe avocado is creamy and easy to mash.
- Parmesan, basil, and balsamic glaze – used as delicious toppings!
How to make tomato avocado toast
It's really easy to make tomato avocado toast by following a few simple steps:
- Start by brushing the sourdough bread slices with olive oil. Toast them in the pan until golden on both sides. Remove and set aside.
- Next, sauté the cherry tomatoes then remove them from the heat, and season them with rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Slice up the avocado and place one half per toast and gently mash it with a fork to prevent it from slipping and sliding off your toast.
- Layer on the sautéed cherry tomatoes, shaved parmesan cheese, basil, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. That's it!
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
How to serve tomato avocado toast
Avocado tomato toast is a light meal you can enjoy for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. To make it more substantial, try it with a fried egg or bacon slices on top. No parmesan? No problem! Try it with crumbled goat cheese or feta (or omit it completely for a dairy-free version).
Favorite sandwich recipes
- Porchetta Sandwich
- Best Bacon Sandwich with Caramelized Onions
- Grilled Cheese and Apple Sandwich
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Bacon, Tomato, and Basil
- Pulled Chicken Sandwich
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (divided)
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh rosemary (see notes)
- 1 pinch EACH: sea salt and pepper
- 1 ripe avocado (sliced)
- Shaved parmesan, basil, and balsamic glaze (to serve)
- Brush 1 teaspoon of olive oil on both sides of the bread. Toast the bread in a pan over medium-high heat until golden. Remove the bread from the pan.2 slices sourdough bread
- Saute the tomatoes in the remaining teaspoon of olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. As soon as the tomatoes soften, remove them from the heat and season with rosemary, salt, and pepper.1 cup cherry tomatoes, ½ teaspoon minced fresh rosemary, 1 pinch EACH: sea salt and pepper
- Slice half of an avocado and place it on a piece of toast. Mash it a little with a fork so that it sticks to the bread. Repeat with the other piece of toast and avocado half.1 ripe avocado, Shaved parmesan, basil, and balsamic glaze
- Top the toast with the sauteed cherry tomato, some shaved parmesan cheese, a little basil, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.