Roasted Cherry Tomatoes with Garlic, Basil, and Balsamic Glaze
Roasted cherry tomatoes make an addictive snack, delicious appetizer, or versatile side dish. Cherry tomato halves are roasted with garlic and olive oil until they're partially dehydrated and their sweetness and flavor have concentrated. A little basil and a drizzle of balsamic glaze takes these tasty bites over the top.
This recipe was originally published back in 2011. We've updated the post with some new photos and more information. We've also tweaked the recipe so that it's even tastier and easier to make.
Oven Roasted cherry tomatoes
If you're curious how to make an insane about of cherry tomatoes disappear in the blink of an eye, turn them into these roasted cherry tomatoes. They're sweet and savory little bites that make an excellent snack, appetizer, or simple side dish. When you bake cherry tomatoes, all of their sweetness condenses into a tiny little nibble. They're total flavor bites.
But to truly take them over the top, add some balsamic glaze and basil when they come out of the oven. They are truly irresistible.
How to roast cherry tomatoes
Making roasted cherry tomatoes is quite simple. Here's what you're going to do:
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half then toss them with oil, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Place them on a baking sheet in a single layer, cut side up.
- Now put them into your oven for about an hour. If there is still liquid on the pan when you check on them, leave them for another 15 minutes.
- Before serving these tasty nuggets, drizzle them with a little balsamic glaze and sprinkle them with fresh basil.
Full recipe instructions in the recipe card below.
How long to roast cherry tomatoes
The best roasted cherry tomatoes take time. If you rush the process, they won't be as sweet and they'll be too juicy. The exact time will depend on the size of the cherry tomatoes you're using. Count on them being in the oven for 1 – 1 ¼ hours. By this time, their juiciness will have evaporated and you'll have little bites of super concentrated flavor.
How to store these tomatoes
Roasted cherry tomatoes will keep well for 4-5 days if kept in a covered container in your fridge. Note that the basil will darken when it's stored. While it's safe to eat, it will look best if added to the tomatoes fresh before you eat or serve them.
What to do with roasted cherry tomatoes
Roasted cherry tomatoes are usually eaten as a snack around here. These tasty little bites disappear from the bowl so fast that they're gone long before dinner. But if we've made a double batch, these are a few other ways we like to enjoy them:
- Put them on toast – bonus points if you spread the toast with goat cheese first.
- Add them to a pasta sauce – pesto or cream sauces are great.
- Serve them as a side, or on top of, fish or chicken.
- Put some in your salad.
- Mix them into rice or risotto.
- Use them on pizza.
- Include them on a cheese and charcuterie board
Try these popular cherry tomato recipes
- Meatball Stuffed Peppers with Cherry Tomato Sauce
- Bacon Guacamole with Roasted Garlic and Tomatoes
- Asparagus Goat Cheese and Cherry Tomato Breakfast Tart
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Fresh Summer Spaghetti
Garlic Roasted Cherry Tomatoes with Basil and Balsamic Glaze
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-3 teaspoons garlic paste, garlic that's been grated on a Microplane – see notes
- 1 teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper to a medium-sized bowl and mix well. Transfer the tomatoes to a baking sheet and spread them out so that they are in a single layer.4 cups cherry tomatoes, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1-3 teaspoons garlic paste, 1 teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- Roast the tomatoes for 1 – 1 ¼ hours, or until they are shriveled and partly dehydrated.
- Serve the tomatoes topped with basil and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.2 tablespoons chopped basil, 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze