Ground Beef Stir Fry with Ginger and Garlic Sauce
Ground beef stir fry is an easy and delicious weeknight dinner. It's made with ground beef, stir-fried veggies, and a tasty garlic ginger sauce. This is one of our go-to quick and healthy recipes!
Fall in love with this ground beef stir fry
- The garlic ginger stir fry sauce is amazing. It's lightly sweetened and is full of flavor. We add a little tapioca or cornstarch so that it thickens enough to cling to the meat and veggies.
- It's a healthy recipe that is full of vegetables. Some ground beef stir fry recipes have a TON of sugar in them. We use a touch of honey to sweeten the sauce so that it's not cloyingly sweet. It's just right.
- The veggies are flexible. Add your favorites or the ones you have on hand.
- The kitchen staple ingredients mean that you can likely make this right now without having to run to the grocery store.
- Ready to eat in under 30 minutes!
- It reheats beautifully and is ideal for meal prep or leftover lunches.
READ MORE: Pineapple Pork Stir Fry
Tips for making the best ground beef stir fry
- Use lean ground beef. Regular ground beef will release a ton of oil when it cooks and you'll need to scoop it out to avoid a greasy dinner.
- Use the largest skillet or wok that you have. It is much easier to stir the veggies and cook them evenly in a large pan.
- Cut the veggies a similar size. This will help them to cook at the same rate. They are also nicer to eat if they are uniform in size.
- Meal prep. Chop the veggies up to 5 days ahead of time and store them in a covered container in your fridge. The sauce can also be made 3 days in advance.
- Sub ginger paste. If you don't often use ginger, consider buying ginger paste which is available in the produce section. It will last for several months. Another option is to freeze raw ginger – it freezes very well!
How to make ground beef stir fry
- Cook the ground beef for a few minutes before adding the mushrooms. Since mushrooms take longer to cook than the other vegetables, you can add them to the pan while the beef is still a little pink. Both the beef and the mushrooms will finish cooking around the same time.
- Add the veggies. You'll want to cook them for 5-6 minutes, or just until they are crisp-tender. Don't cook them fully at this point as they will continue to cook when you add the sauce.
- Pour the sauce into the pan. It will thicken in 1-2 minutes as you stir it into the meat and veggies.
What is in a stir fry sauce
We make ours with beef broth (or often Better Than Bouillon!), a starch for thickening, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger.
It's a versatile stir fry sauce that we use often.
Favorite Stir Fry Recipes
Ground Beef Stir Fry with Garlic Ginger Sauce
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 5 ounces mushrooms, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 5 ounces snap peas, about 2 cups
Stir Fry Sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch or cornstarch
- ¼ cup soy sauce, can use coco aminos
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Add the beef to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the meat, stirring it to break up the pieces occasionally, until it is mostly brown, about 5 minutes.1 lb lean ground beef
- While the beef cooks, chop the veggies and make the sauce. Add the tapioca or cornstarch to a measuring cup or bowl. Add a splash of the beef broth and mix. Add the rest of the broth and remaining sauce ingredients and mix again.1 cup beef broth, 2 tablespoons tapioca starch or cornstarch, ¼ cup soy sauce, 2 tablespoons honey, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 2 tablespoons minced ginger, 3 cloves garlic
- When the beef is mostly cooked, add the mushroom and cook them for 5 minutes. If there is more than 1 tablespoon of the oil in the pan remove it by tilting the pan to the side and using a spoon to scoop it out. If there is less, add a splash of oil.5 ounces mushrooms
- Add the remaining veggies to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until they are crisp-tender.2 carrots, 1 red pepper, 5 ounces snap peas
- Stir the sauce to mix up the starch then pour it into the pan. Once the sauce has thickened (1-2 minutes) serve the stir fry over rice or cauliflower rice.