I know it's mid-summer and you're probably full on into light and fresh recipe mode but even this time of year I sometimes need to crawl back into comfort food mode, and I hope you do too. Besides, it's really hard for me to say no to a big pot of ooey, gooey, cheesy deliciousness. Throw some rich and spicy chorizo into the mix and it becomes downright impossible.
I've put this recipe into the “quick and easy dinner recipe” category even though there does look like there are a number of steps. Don't worry, it will come together very quickly.
Here's your game plan:
- Chop the chorizo and start sautéing it.
- Put a pot of water on.
- Prep the broccoli.
- Start the cheese sauce.
- Cook the pasta.
- Toss everything together.
Even though you are making the cheese sauce from scratch everything should come together at nearly the same time.
Let's hear it for homemade macaroni and cheese! ♥♥♥
If you make this Broccoli and Chorizo Macaroni and Cheese, make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.Print
This Broccoli Chorizo Macaroni and Cheese is a big pot of ooey, gooey, cheesy deliciousness. The rich and spicy chorizo makes it the ultimate comfort food.
- 1 cup diced chorizo sausage
- 3 cups elbow macaroni (or gluten free macaroni)
- 1 large head of broccoli, chopped into small florets
- ½ cup butter
- 1 medium onion, finely minced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (or gluten free flour*)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups aged cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup gruyere, grated
- ½ cup fontina, diced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- Place the diced chorizo in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Cook, stirring often, for 8-10 minutes, or until the chorizo has cooked through.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook the macaroni according to package directions. 2 minutes before the macaroni has finished cooking add the broccoli florets to the pot of water. Drain the macaroni and the broccoli at the same time when the macaroni has finished cooking.
- Melt the butter in a medium sized pot over medium high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion starts to soften but not brown. Add the flour to the pot and stir in continuously for 2-3 minutes, or until it is light brown. Pour the milk into the pot while whisking constantly. It will thicken up a lot at first but thin as you pour in more milk. Bring the pot to a boil and boil it for 2 minutes, or until it has thickened.
- Lower the heat to medium low and add the 3 cheeses to the pot in a few additions. Stir the pot until the cheeses have melted then add the dijon mustard, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Taste the cheese sauce for seasoning and add more sea salt and fresh cracked pepper if you'd like.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked macaroni and dig in immediately.