This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Broccoli and chorizo mac and cheese is an easy stovetop macaroni and cheese recipe made with delicious chorizo, lots of steamed broccoli, and a creamy cheese sauce. You'll love this easy, family-friendly meal!
Chorizo mac and cheese with broccoli is a staple around here and is always a winner at the table. If you love pasta, also make sure to try our four cheese macaroni and cheese!
This recipe was originally published back in 2014. We've given this post a facelift with some new photos and some more information. We've also updated the recipe a little so that it takes fewer steps and is easier to make, but it is every bit as delicious as ever.
Broccoli and Chorizo Mac and Cheese
If you like comfort food then you will LOVE chorizo mac and cheese. It has the best slightly spicy flavor from the chorizo, is super cheesy, and has tasty bites of broccoli mixed in just for good measure.
It's a heart main course meal or cozy side dish. And if you bring it to a potluck you'll be the most popular person around!
Love cheesy broccoli recipes? Try our broccoli cheese soup!
What to serve with chorizo mac and cheese?
This is easily a filling meal by itself. But if you'd like to add some extra veggies, here are a few ideas:
- An arugula salad tossed in our lemon salad dressing.
- Bacon Kale Caesar Salad
- Roasted Corn and Avocado Salad with Chipotle Mint Dressing
Or embrace the carbs with our No Yeast Bread with Herbs and Cheese!
What kind of cheese is best?
You have lots of options here. Most importantly, you want to choose cheeses that melt well and have good flavor.
- Cheddar cheese – we love the flavor of aged cheddar the best, but as it's not a great melting cheese, we usually mix it with gruyere and fontina. Opt for a medium or sharp cheddar if you want to use only cheddar.
- Gruyere – Or smoked gruyere. Both melt well and have amazing flavor.
- Fontina – An excellent melting cheese.
- Gouda – Has incredible flavor.
- Cream cheese – Don't use only cream cheese as it lacks flavor, but add some for extra creaminess.
- You can also use smaller amounts of goat cheese, parmesan, or brie to add flavor to the sauce.
- Avoid using pre-grated cheese. These contain anti-caking agents and preservatives that prevent them from melting well.
- Feta and halloumi should also be avoided as they don't melt.
Can this be a broccoli mac and cheese bake?
It sure can! Simply prepare the recipe then put it into a buttered casserole dish. Top it with some buttered breadcrumbs before you bake it at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
How long does chorizo mac and cheese last?
This mac and cheese will last for 3-4 days in your fridge. Reheat it over medium-low heat and add a little milk to the pan to keep the pasta moist.
Try these popular pasta recipes
- Four Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
- Makeover Pumpkin Mac and Cheese Casserole
- Creamy Tomato Pasta
- Lemon Chicken Pasta
- One-Pot Pasta with Peas and Bacon
- 3 cups elbow macaroni (gluten-free macaroni, if needed)
- 1 large head of broccoli (chopped into small florets)
- 2 fresh chorizo sausages (casings removed (see notes))
- ½ medium onion (minced)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour (gluten-free flour, if needed)
- 3 cups milk
- 4 cups grated cheese (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper (more to taste)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the macaroni and cook according to the package directions (usually 8-10 minutes) Add the broccoli to the pot two minutes BEFORE the pasta is finished cooking. Drain the pasta and broccoli through a colander.3 cups elbow macaroni, 1 large head of broccoli
- While the water is warming, Cook the chorizo, onion, and garlic in a large pan over medium-high heat until the chorizo is fully cooked and the onion is soft, about 5-6 minutes.2 fresh chorizo sausages, ½ medium onion, 3 cloves garlic
- Stir the flour into the pot with the chorizo. Slowly pour in the milk and mix well. Add the cheese and mix until it melts. Stir in the dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 3 cups milk, 4 cups grated cheese, 1 teaspoon dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- Add the cooked macaroni and broccoli to the pot and mix well.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.