This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Curl up on the couch with a slice of this comforting apple banana bread and a cup of tea. This healthier version uses no oil and less sugar for a quick breakfast on the go or anytime treat. It's easy to make and ready in about an hour!
We love how versatile banana bread is and believe there can be a version that celebrates every season. In this apple banana bread, we use only wholesome, real ingredients and no oil. Apple sauce and yogurt keep things light and moist. It's a healthier loaf that makes a great breakfast on the go or snack any time of the day.
The streusel topping is optional but adds a wonderful sweet crunch, and looks lovely.
We like to have a loaf on hand for those times when friends pop by, to serve with coffee or tea. While you're at it, make an extra one a friend, a new parent, your family, or anyone that might enjoy the comfort of a nourishing treat!
How to make apple banana bread
Here's how to make banana bread with apple sauce in a few simple steps:
- Start by preheating your oven and preparing your loaf pan. While the oven preheats, mix together all the streusel topping ingredients.
- Next, mix the wet ingredients together in a large bowl. Mash the bananas, then whisk in the eggs, brown sugar, apple sauce, and yogurt.
- In another bowl, whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt together.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet until just mixed, then stir in the apple. Be careful not to overmix the batter!
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and top it with streusel topping.
- Bake the banana bread for 65-75 minutes, checking after 45 minutes. It's ready when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. That's it!
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
Ingredients for apple banana bread
Here's everything you'll need to make this delicious apple banana bread:
- Bananas – ripe, spotty bananas will make this loaf extra sweet.
- Eggs – ideally free-range eggs; they provide structure and richness to the loaf while helping it rise.
- Brown sugar – a reduced amount, just enough to sweeten things up.
- Apple sauce + yogurt – keeps the loaf moist, adds sweetness and more apple flavor, and provides added nutrition.
- Flour – we use regular all-purpose flour.
- Cinnamon + salt – a generous amount of apple's favorite warming spice and just enough salt to balance out the sweet taste.
- Baking soda – helps the loaf to rise.
- Chopped apple – for mixing into the batter.
Here's what you'll need for the 5-ingredient streusel topping:
- Sea salt
How to serve banana apple bread
Enjoy a slice of this banana bread with a generous smear of our homemade butter or nut butter for a satisfying afternoon snack. Kids love it, too (and it's sturdy enough to travel with) so tuck it into lunch boxes and backpacks.
When we're in the mood, we like to serve it a-la-mode with a scoop of ice cream like our vanilla coconut ice cream.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does this apple banana bread last?
This loaf will stay fresh at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Can I freeze it?
Absolutely! Once it's cooled completely, you can either slice it or freeze it whole in an air-tight container for up to 3 months.
Can I make it dairy-free?
Yes, you can use plain dairy-free yogurt in place of the yogurt, and dairy-free butter in the streusel.
Popular banana bread
- 3 medium ripe bananas (1 ½ cups)
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup apple sauce
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium apple (peeled, cored, and chopped)
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter (at room temperature)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a 9×5 inch loaf pan. Use a fork or your fingers to mix the streusel ingredients in a small bowl.¼ cup rolled oats, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, 1 pinch sea salt
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl then whisk in the eggs, brown sugar, apple sauce, and yogurt.3 medium ripe bananas, 2 large eggs, ¾ cup brown sugar, ½ cup apple sauce, ½ cup plain yogurt
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. When only a few streaks of flour remain, stir in the apple.1 medium apple
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan then top with the streusel topping.
- Bake the banana bread for 65-75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Check the banana bread after 45 minutes and, if it's browning on the top, cover it loosely with foil. Let the banana bread cool on your counter for 10 minutes then invert the pan to remove it then let it cool completely on a cooling rack.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.
If you love banana bread as much as we do, make sure to check out all of our banana bread recipes!