I love the way food can bring up memories so sharp they can be relived. Oven Baked Sharp Cheese Bread Bites, or cheese bread as I knew it in my youth, has this effect. They're as good as a time machine for bringing me back to my Grandad's living room at Christmas time. Each year his wife Wilma (his name was Fred, which still makes me smile) would pass around a few plates of this warm, cheesy, crispy on the outside pieces of white bread. The entire family would wait for this moment the whole year long. There never seemed to be enough, and I always wanted more.
I made them in my late teens or early twenties but in greedy haste I didn't take the time to freeze them properly between batches. They were good, but not like I remembered. I've developed a little more patience since then and followed the recipe exactly. These were as I remembered, only there were so many of them that I was left feeling a little ill. While I may have picked up some patience along the way, I haven't given up gluttony.
These crazy delicious cheese bread bites are coated in Imperial cheese and butter and baked until they are crispy and uber cheesy. You will LOVE them!
- 1 loaf unsliced white bread
- 1 cup butter
- 1 container of Imperial Sharp Cheese
- To assemble:
- Carefully cut the crust off of bread. Gently slice bread into thick (two-bite sized) squares
- Arrange in a single layer on a plate and freeze in freezer for 1 hour
- Cream together butter and sharp cheese
- Remove bread from the freezer and spread a thin layer of the butter mixture on all sides of the bread cubes. Return to freezer for 15 minutes
- Remove bread again from freezer and spread a second layer of the butter mixture on all sides.
- Return to freezer and freeze at least 1 hour or overnight. Once frozen they can be stored in a Ziploc bag in your freezer
- To Bake:
Pre-heatoven to 350 degrees. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until the edges are starting to turn brown.
- Serve immediately.