This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
We love this 25-minute salmon and cabbage dinner! The salmon is coated in coconut then pan-fried until crispy. It is served with curried coconut cabbage for a filling low-carb meal.
Why we love crispy coconut salmon and cabbage
This is a simple recipe that lets the flavor of each part really shine.
- The quickly pan-fried salmon is amazingly buttery and tender.
- And has a crispy crust with a light coconut flavor.
- The curried cabbage is soft and almost noodle-like and (honestly) so tasty that it should be a recipe all by itself.
- We add some spinach to boost the veggies.
- From start to finish, this dinner will be on your plate in 25 minutes.
- It's a healthy and delicious recipe. Our favorite combo!
How to make salmon and cabbage
There are two parts to making this recipe and both are very simple.
- Make the salmon. Cut the salmon into chunks and coat each piece in unsweetened coconut. Now pan fry the pieces in some coconut oil until they are crispy and cooked through. Easy!
- Make the cabbage. Saute some garlic then add curry powder, turmeric, coconut milk, and cabbage and let it cook until the cabbage is soft. Then stir in some spinach and let it wilt. That's it!
Do I need to remove the salmon skin?
Yes, for the best results you'll want to remove the skin prior to coating the pieces in coconut. Luckily, with a sharp knife, it is fairly simple. You can learn how to remove salmon skin in our post about lemon salmon burgers.
Or ask at the store where you buy your salmon if they will remove it for you. Many stores will.
Another alternative is to prepare the salmon as fillets, only coat the top with coconut, and remove the skin after it cooks. You won't get the all-round crispiness that you get with the coconut salmon bites, but the flavor will still be tasty.
Also, try this low-carb keto cabbage soup!
- 20 ounces salmon (skin removed (see notes))
- ⅓ cup unsweetened fine coconut
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon EACH: curry powder, turmeric, and sea salt
- 1 lb. cabbage (chopped (preferably green or savoy cabbage))
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- Cut the salmon into 2-inch pieces (about 20 pieces total). Place the coconut in a bowl and dip each piece of salmon into the coconut so that it is coated well on all sides.20 ounces salmon, ⅓ cup unsweetened fine coconut
- Heat the coconut oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the salmon and cook until golden brown on one side, about 3 minutes. Flip the salmon pieces over and cook for another 3 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove the salmon from the pan.1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the coconut milk, curry powder, turmeric, and salt and stir. Add the cabbage to the pan and mix it again. Cover the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is soft.2 cloves garlic, 1 cup light coconut milk, 1 teaspoon EACH: curry powder, turmeric, and sea salt, 1 lb. cabbage
- Add the spinach to the pan and let it wilt. Divide between 4 plates and serve with the crispy salmon on top.2 cups baby spinach leaves
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.