Pineapple Shrimp Stir Fry
Pineapple shrimp stir fry is a sweet, delicious, and healthy dinner recipe that's always a hit. An easy to make stir fry sauce coats the tender shrimp, sweet pineapple chunks, and our favorite veggies. It's quick to make and so much better than takeout!
Complete the meal with some perfect basmati rice or cauliflower rice. And if you like pineapple, make sure to also try our pineapple pork stir fry!
Pineapple shrimp stir fry
This is a recipe that even the pickiest eaters enjoy. The pineapple juice and hoisin sauce give the sauce the perfect balance of sweet and tangy flavors.
The shrimp, which are coated in cornstarch and quickly pan-fried, pick up tons of the tasty sauce. They're delicious.
You can use the veggies in the recipe (we love the combo!) or choose ones that you know will be a hit in your family. It's a versatile recipe!
Pineapple shrimp stir fry variations
We love the combination of snap peas, red pepper, and pineapple in this recipe. But you can switch up the veggies for your favorites. Here are a few ideas:
- Broccoli + red peppers.
- Onion + celery + carrots.
- Mushrooms + broccolini + cauliflower.
- Green beans + orange peppers + onions.
Can you make this with chicken?
Yes! But chicken needs to be cooked longer. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces, coat them in cornstarch, and cook them for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until they are no longer pink.
Does this pineapple shrimp stir fry keep well?
Seafood never reheats very well. While it's safe to eat the next day, it is best fresh.
But since we hate to waste food, we do eat the leftovers. Warm them gently so you don't risk overcooking the shrimp!
Love pineapple recipes? Try these!
- Fresh Pineapple Margaritas with Sweet and Spicy Rim Salt
- Hawaiian Hot Dogs with Grilled Pineapple and Teriyaki Mayo
- Sesame Pineapple Sausage Bites
- Modern Pineapple Ham with Balsamic Honey Glaze
- Grilled Pineapple Chicken Skewers with Coconut Rice
Popular shrimp recipes
- Honey Walnut Shrimp
- Chili Lime Shrimp
- Baked Coconut Shrimp with Mango Sauce
- Sticky Sesame Honey Shrimp with Ginger Broccoli
Pineapple Shrimp Stir Fry
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ lb shrimp, shells removed
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
- 1 cup snap peas, cut in half
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 cups chopped pineapple, or canned pineapple chunks
- Sesame seeds, for serving
Pineapple Stir Fry Sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup pineapple juice, can sub orange juice
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce, gluten-free, if needed
- ¼ cup soy sauce, gluten-free, if needed
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Optional: 1 teaspoon sriracha (more, to taste)
- If you're serving this with rice, start that first.
- Whisk the cornstarch, onion powder, and garlic powder in a medium-sized bowl. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Note: the batter will turn sticky.2 tablespoons cornstarch, 1 tablespoon onion powder, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 ½ lb shrimp
- Next, make the stir fry sauce. Add the cornstarch to a measuring cup. Add a little of the pineapple juice and mix it into the cornstarch. Now add the rest of the juice and the remaining sauce ingredients.1 tablespoon cornstarch, ½ cup pineapple juice, ¼ cup hoisin sauce, ¼ cup soy sauce, 1 tablespoon minced ginger, ½ teaspoon sea salt, 3 cloves garlic, Optional: 1 teaspoon sriracha (more, to taste)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large, nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and spread them out in the pan so that they are in a single layer. Cook them for 2 minutes on each side then remove them from the pan.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and the snap peas, red pepper, and pineapple and cook the veggies for 2-3 minutes, or until they are crisp-tender.1 cup snap peas, 1 red pepper, 2 cups chopped pineapple
- Return the shrimp to the pan, give the sauce a stir then pour it over the shrimp and veggies, then mix everything together. Let the sauce cook for 1 minute to thicken it then serve the stir fry with sesame seeds sprinkled on the top.Sesame seeds
Too much soy and hoisan sauce. Will add way less if I use it again.
I love this recipe for pineapple shrimp stir fry, this will be the Third time I have made this. I however double the coating part.
Are raw shrimp to be used, or do the 2 minutes on each side cook them enough? I know – a silly question. Recipe sounds delicious.
Not a silly question at all! We use raw shrimp. Shrimp cook incredibly fast; Just a couple of minutes in a hot pan is all it takes to cook them.
are the shrimp cooked already? thx.
No we use raw shrimp.
Your recipe is delicious. We really enjoyed it, but it is not refined sugar free. Hosin sauce has quite a bit of sugar in it unless you know of a brand that doesn’t.
P.S. I love the way you organize your recipes, very helpful. You’re the only one I’ve seen that does it.
Great recipe. Tried as written
Taste delicious Thanks for posting
Absolutely delicious! I used red and greet bell peppers with white onion for the veggies. It reminded me of a sweet and sour type of meal. Wil definitely be making this one again.
I don’t have any hoisin sauce, can I substitute for anything else?
Hoisin is both sweet and savory. You could try mixing honey with some black bean sauce. 🙂