Orange Balsamic Roasted Okra
This Orange Balsamic Roasted Okra is easy to make and healthy! It is slightly crispy and has the most beautiful orange zing to it. These unexpected flavors are incredible and the perfect summer side.
This roasted okra. OMG.
Do you guys remember when I shared the recipe for Stir-Fried Okra with Garlic, Chilies, and Lime a few weeks back?
→ sidebar ← Do you also remember how I called it Sir Fried Okra? I'm so happy that you guys are awesome and forgiving about such a big fail. I was cringing big time when I finally caught that one.
Anyway, I told you in that post how okra was one of those veggies that really had to grow on me. It was anything but love at first sight. The part about okra that I just couldn't get past was the slime until I learned to cook it properly.
Stir-frying okra is one way to ensure it doesn't turn slimy; roasted okra is equally as delicious and totally slime free.
This easy to make and healthy roasted okra recipe is slightly crispy and has the most beautiful sweet and tangy orange zing to it. These unexpected flavors work incredibly well together.
I wish I could share with you the look on my handsome man's face when he eats something he really likes. He kind of freezes up and his eyes get wide before a big smile spreads across his face. I use that look to judge if I nailed a recipe. This recipe got that look.
Roasted okra on its own, sprinkled with a healthy pinch of sea salt, is totally delicious. But, covered in this orange balsamic glaze, it's kinda out of this world.
The okra itself it soft in the center and crispy at the ends. See how nice and brown it is? There's a major amount of flavor here.
And then the glaze. Oh, the delicious glaze. It's slightly sweet, a little tangy and a tiny bit bitter. I think the best sauces or glazes always have many levels of flavor, just like this one. I can never help but lick the pan after I pour the glaze over the roasted okra. 🙂
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
More Healthy Veggie Side Dishes:
- Miso Butter Roasted Radishes
- Whole Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Garlic
- Sesame Garlic Miso Butter Mushrooms
- Roasted Broccoli Steaks with Butter Toasted Pine Nuts
- Asparagus Salad with Reduced Balsamic Vinaigrette
This easy to make and healthy roasted okra is slightly crispy and has the most beautiful orange zing to it. These unexpected flavors are incredible.
- 1 lb okra, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Zest and juice from 1 orange
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 small garlic clove, very finely minced
- For garnish: orange slices and fresh cracked pepper
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Toss the okra with the olive oil and sea salt and spread them out on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Roast the okra for 25 minutes.
- While the okra is roasting, prepare the glaze. In a small frying pan over high heat add the orange zest, orange juice, balsamic vinegar, honey, and garlic. Bring it to a boil and let it boil rapidly, whisking occasionally until it has reduced by half, about 5 minutes. If it reduces a little too much, just add another splash of orange juice or water.
- Once the okra is nicely browned remove it from the oven and toss it with the orange glaze. Serve the okra with orange slices and a little fresh cracked pepper.