Mint pesto is a refreshing twist on the original and delicious with lamb, on pasta, or with roast veggies.
While we love a classic basil pesto, this mint version is a dreamy change from the original.
It's light and refreshing with beautiful, bright flavors. A don't worry about it being overly minty; it's not. It has just the right amount of mint to make it interesting without being overwhelming.
We make our mint pesto with pistachios to keep the green theme going. But you can easily use pine nuts, cashews, or almonds instead.
How to make this mint pesto recipe
Making mint pesto is incredibly easy!
- Put the ingredients into your blender (or food processor, if that's what you have!)
- Now blend until it's mostly smooth. We like ours a tiny bit chunky so we blend it on medium speed.
Full recipe instructions in the recipe card below.
Should I blanch the mint and parsley?
No, blanching the mint is not necessary. The parsley is what gives the mint pesto its bright green color (just like in our creamy pesto sauce recipe) and it will stay the same beautiful color for days.
How long does mint pesto last?
This pesto recipe will keep well for 3-4 days in a jar in your fridge. It will be safe to eat for a few more days, but the flavor and color won't be as fresh tasting.
Mint pesto variations
- Switch the nuts. While we love using green pistachios in this recipe, you can use other nuts instead. Cashews, pine nuts, and almonds all work great.
- Make it dairy-free. Skip the parmesan for a lighter flavored pesto.
- Give it a stronger mint flavor. For a mintier flavor (but less brightly colored) pesto, use all mint.
How to use mint pesto
Much like a regular pesto, this one can be used in all sorts of ways. Here's a few we like best:
- With lamb. It's a wonderful change to the usual mint jelly.
- On roasted root veggies.
- With our Italian roasted cauliflower.
- Spread on a piece of crusty sourdough bread.
- As a dip for raw veggies.
More Pesto Recipes
- 5-Minute Creamy Pesto Sauce
- Dairy Free Pesto (Whole30 + Vegan)
- Carrot Top Pesto
- Everyday Easy Pesto Recipe
- Avocado Pesto Salad Dressing
- 2 cups mint, lightly packed
- 1 cup parsley, lightly packed
- ¼ cup salted, roasted pistachios, (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 4-6 tablespoons cold water
- Add the mint, parsley, pistachios, lemon juice, parmesan cheese, garlic, and 4 tablespoons of cold water to your blender.2 cups mint, 1 cup parsley, ¼ cup salted, roasted pistachios, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, 1 clove garlic
- Blend on medium speed (see notes) until the pesto is mostly smooth. Add additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed to thin the pesto and help it blend.