Lemon Pepper Fish
This flaky lemon pepper fish is packed with flavor, simple to prepare, and tastes delicious year-round. Try it using our homemade lemon pepper seasoning or use your own for a zesty citrus kick. Paired with some simple roasted vegetables or a salad, it makes the perfect healthy weeknight meal that's ready in just 20 minutes!
This lemon pepper fish is one of our favorite ways to prepare white fish, along with our baked fish with lemon garlic butter. It's a healthy, easy-to-make recipe that's perfectly seasoned with two of our favorite spice blends: lemon pepper and Italian seasoning.
Using lemon pepper on fish gives it a zesty citrus taste and the Italian spice mix adds an herby depth of flavor. We love how fool-proof and versatile this recipe is; you can serve it with almost anything.
If you're after something lighter, pair it with a salad or roasted vegetables. For a more filling meal, serve it with some rice, mashed potatoes, or a creamy pasta dish. The options are endless and you can't go wrong!
Here's everything you'll need to make this perfectly seasoned baked lemon pepper fish:
- White fish – in the pictures we've used tilapia, but any firm white fish will work well.
- Lemon pepper – this star ingredient adds its fresh, citrusy kick. We love it with our homemade lemon pepper seasoning, but store-bought works, too.
- Garlic powder – the powder adds a subtle garlic flavor.
- Italian seasoning – this versatile mix of herbs adds depth of flavor.
- Sweet paprika – adds a mildly sweet and fruity flavor.
- Olive oil – coats the fish and helps the seasonings stick.
- Lemon – fresh lemon slices are added during baking for an even more bright lemon taste. Keep a few for garnishing, if you'd like.
- Parsley – used as an optional garnishing, it balances and brightens flavors.
How to make baked lemon pepper fish
In this recipe, we use our homemade lemon pepper seasoning, which contains salt. If the lemon pepper you use doesn't have salt in the ingredients, you'll want to season the fish with salt. This easy-to-make garlic lemon pepper fish comes together in just three simple steps:
- While the oven preheats, prepare your fish. Pat dry the fillets and season them by sprinkling them with all the herbs.
- Next, drizzle some olive oil over the seasoned fish; This is to make the herbs stick. Flip the fillets over and repeat with herbs and olive oil on the other side then transfer them to a baking sheet and place lemon slices around the fish.
- Then simply bake the fish until it's flaky. We like to serve it with some fresh lemon slices and chopped parsley.
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
In the pictures, we've used tilapia, but any firm white fish will work well. Try it with cod, snapper, lingcod, haddock, or grouper.
You, can but it will change the overall taste. Smoked paprika will give the fish a smoky taste. Regular paprika doesn't have any flavor and is typically just used for coloring. If you choose to use hot paprika, the fish will be spicy!
How to serve lemon pepper fish
This versatile fish dish goes with almost anything, but we love the classic combination of something starchy and a simple green salad. Try it with our garlic butter rice or mini Hasselback potatoes. Then pair it with our asparagus salad with balsamic vinaigrette or spring mix salad.
If you have a bit more time, try it with our Mediterranean tomatoes stuffed with rice for a fancier feel.
More lemon pepper recipes
Popular fish recipes
- Baked Fish with Lemon Garlic Butter
- Perfect Poached Fish
- Blackened Rockfish Tacos
- Favorite Lingcod Recipe
- 8-Minute Baked Salmon
Lemon Pepper Fish
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Dry the fish well with paper towels then sprinkle the lemon pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and paprika evenly over both sides of the fish.1 tablespoon lemon pepper, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon sweet paprika, 4 pieces white fish
- Drizzle half of the olive oil over one side of the fish pieces then pat the spices onto the fish so that they really stick to the fish. Transfer the fish to a baking sheet, oiled side down. Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the fish and once more pat the spices onto the fish. Arrange a few lemon slices around the fish.2 tablespoon olive oil, 1 lemon
- Bake the lemon pepper fish for 12-15 minutes, or until it turns white and flakes easily. Serve the fish with the lemon slices on the side and a little parsley sprinkled over the top.Minced parsley