This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These crazy delicious Mezcal Chicken Fajitas are made by marinating the chicken in smoky mezcal then grilling them and a bunch of veggies. They're a super easy to make and healthy summer BBQ recipe. You will LOVE them!
Aaaaand … it's mezcal chicken fajita time!
Cause I want my drink and I want to eat it, too. Whoever said we can't have everything we want was wrong. I made these fajitas to prove it.
Did you notice that this is the third Mexican recipe I've shared with your guys in the past two weeks? There was the Chunky Grilled Guacamole, the Grilled Steak Tacos, and now these Mezcal Chicken Fajitas. It might be a bit overboard, but I figured you have good taste and so wouldn't mind at all.
This is also the last recipe in the June Grill Out series. Insert all the sad eye emoji crying faces.
But don't worry, it's not the last BBQ recipe I'm ever going to share. It's the last for a little while. Aaaaannd … I've got some pretty awesome no-cook recipes I've been working on that I know you're going to love.
I'm getting ahead of myself. Chicken fajitas, chicken fajitas, cha cha cha cha cha. Sing it with me!
Before I tell you about these fajitas, can we take a minute to have a laugh at my teeny tiny BBQ? That's my little Weber Baby Q, and it's sitting at the most awkward angle because my “patio” is so small that even the smallest BBQ barely fits on it. Those quotation marks on patio are totally deserved. It's the BBQ version of an Easy Bake Oven.
It's a BBQ that is meant for cooking meals for 1 or 2 people. Since I make most of the recipes on the blog for 4 people, I've spent the last month huddled over the grill cooking veggies in shifts since it's too small to cook everything at once.
Once those veggies came off, the mezcal chicken went on. Then after that, the tortillas were quickly warmed. It's a process.
READ MORE: Homemade Fajita Seasoning
But these Mezcal Chicken Fajitas are 100% worth the long process it takes to cook them on my tiny BBQ. Don't worry, on your grown up, full-sized grill, these babies won't take you long at all to make.
Your chicken fajita game plan:
♡ Put the chicken into a plastic bag, add some spices and a few good glugs of mezcal. While you're at it, pour some mezcal into a glass. Seal the bag, put it in the fridge, drink the mezcal.
♡ Chop the veggies, put them in a bowl, toss them with oil and season them with spices. Go ahead, pour yourself some more mezcal, you deserve it.
♡ Prep the toppings: make some easy guacamole, put some sour cream in a bowl, and slice a few limes.
♡ Make yourself a mezcal margarita. This is a real thing.
♡ Grill the chicken and veggies and warm the tortillas. Eat!
See how easy that was? Five simple steps and you'll be on your way to grilled chicken fajita heaven with a margarita in hand.
Also, try this delicious fajita marinade!
Speaking of mezcal margaritas. See that beauty there? ☝️ Ooooooh, she was delicious!
Here's what you need to make a mezcal margarita:
- Lime juice (always freshly squeezed!)
- Simple syrup or Triple Sec
Pour equal portions of each of those into a shaker or mason jar. Add some ice and shake till it's cold. Rub the rim of your glass with a cut lime then dab it in salt. Pour your mezcal margarita into your glass and pat yourself on the back.
If you make these Mezcal Chicken Fajitas make sure you snap a pic and tag #theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create!
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ cup mezcal
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon EACH: chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon EACH: oregano and sea salt
- 3 bell peppers (sliced)
- 2 medium onions (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon EACH: oil, chili powder, and cumin
- 1 teaspoon EACH: oregano and sea salt
- Tortillas (corn or gluten-free if needed)
- Guacamole (try this easy recipe)
- Sour cream
- Greens or shredded lettuce
- Place the chicken thighs in a large bowl. Add the mezcal, oil, and all of the spices. Mix the chicken and marinade around then place the bowl into your fridge and let it marinate while you prepare the rest of the meal. Note: you can let it marinate for up to 12 hours.6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, ¼ cup mezcal, 1 tablespoon cooking oil, 1 teaspoon EACH: chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon EACH: oregano and sea salt
- Slice the peppers and onions and place them into a large bowl. Add the oil and spices and toss to coat.3 bell peppers, 2 medium onions, 1 tablespoon EACH: oil, chili powder, and cumin, 1 teaspoon EACH: oregano and sea salt
- Make the guacamole and put the sour cream and greens into bowls.Guacamole, Sour cream, Greens or shredded lettuce
- Oil and preheat your grill to medium-high. Remove the chicken from the bowl and discard the marinade. Grill the chicken and veggies until the chicken is cooked through and the veggies are charred in spots, about 10 minutes. Warm the tortillas on the grill. Chop the chicken into pieces.Tortillas
- Serve everything on the table and let everyone assemble their own mezcal chicken fajitas.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.