Flourless Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes
If you're looking for the best Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes recipe, you've come to the right place. These babies are super rich, perfectly sweetened, and every bit as ooey and gooey as they should be. (PS. don't tell anyone but the ingredients are all healthy, too!)
Happy Valentine's Day! Can you think of anything better than diving into a puddle of warm chocolate with the person you love? Or your best friend. Or yourself. (No need to share if you go it alone. Just sayin' … )
So I almost called these babies Healthy Chocolate Lava Cakes, but then realized that anyone wanting to treat themselves to a ridiculously amazing dessert isn't going to look twice at a healthy dessert recipe. #truth
What we want/ deserve/ need is all the ooey gooey chocolate. We want the richest molten chocolate lava dripping from our spoons. We want every delicious bite and we don't care about what makes it so damn good. Am I right?
But this is where things get weird (and awesome) with this Flourless Molten Chocolate Lava Cake …
Healthy Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes
Sneak a peek at the ingredients and you'll see that everything on the list sits in the healthy category. Well, everything except the little bit of sugar. Didn't want to get too carried away and leave that out. But everything else is 100% good for your body.
– full of antioxidants and is a solid source of fiber, iron, and magnesium. It's been said to protect against cardiovascular disease and improve your brain function. We also know that when you eat chocolate you feel good. Trust me, I've studied this extensively.
– has been touted as a cure-all for just about anything you can think of.
– are about as healthy as you can get. We eat them nearly every morning for breakfast so why not eat them for dessert, too. Or scrap the scramble and just make this flourless molten chocolate lava cake. Good morning!
– I love this stuff! Collagen is amazing for your skin, nails, and overall health, and Vital Proteins makes the best collagen around. I put a scoop in my coffee nearly every morning so why not add it to dessert, too?
AND if being super healthy wasn't good enough, a big scoop of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides also makes the lava cakes even more rich and decadent. You'll be nothing but happy that you added it to the recipe.
– we all know that almonds are a super healthy snack. Grinding them into flour doesn't change how good they are for us. (And btw by Flourless Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes I meant no traditional all-purpose flour. 😉 )
See what I mean? These INSANELY delicious molten chocolate lava cakes are (omg!) good for you, too. You could call them Paleo Chocolate Lava Cakes or Dairy Free Chocolate Lava Cakes or even Gluten Free Chocolate Lava Cakes. I think the best name for them is The Best Dang Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes There Ever Has Been and Ever Will Be.
If you haven't tried making lava cakes before, you'll be amazed at how easy they are to make. Here's a quick rundown:
- Melt the chocolate. Most recipes call for this to be done over a double boiler, but it's honestly not necessary. Just make sure to keep the heat low. Don't get impatient and increase the heat to medium or you'll mess up the chocolate. Put the chocolate and coconut oil in a pan on LOW heat and leave it alone until it melts. Easy!
- Whisk or beat the other ingredients together then fold in the melted chocolate. Pour the chocolate-y batter into ramekins or little ovenproof dishes.
- Bake the cakes for 10 minutes.
- Eat the delicious chocolate lava.
See how easy chocolate puddles are to make? The only way you could mess these up is if you overcooked them. Then they would be chocolate cake minus the molten lava part. ← Insert sad face.
Even though I've made Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes a million (ish) times or so, I always feel a little anxious when baking them. I just can't help it!
What I've learned is this: it's better to err on the side of taking them out of the oven too soon. Never ever ever opt for ‘maybe they need another minute'. They don't.
I often jump the gun a little and take them out just before they're truly done. The slightly sunken and starting to burst lava cakes in these pictures? Ya, that's me panicking that they'll overcook. But it's WAY better to have a lava cake that's bursting with molten chocolate than to have a perfect looking lava cake that's all dried up inside.
One more quick thing … if you love eating healthy as much as I do, check out this Curried Chicken Cauliflower Rice Soup and these Grab and Go Bacon and Egg Cups. They both have Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides in them and they're both delicious!
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
Healthy dessert recipes:
- Triple Berry Paleo Banana Bread with Lemon Glaze
- Vanilla Cashew Butter Cups
- Flourless Chickpea Peanut Butter Cookies
- Healthier Blueberry Jam Bars
- Dreamy Almond Chocolate Nice Cream
- Healthy Cranberry Coffee Cake
Flourless Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- Berries – raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries are delicious
- Whipped cream or ice cream
- Caramel or chocolate sauce
- A sprinkle of powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Brush the insides of two 6-ounce ramekins with coconut oil. Add a teaspoon of cocoa powder to each and roll the ramekins so the cocoa powder covers all inside edges.
- Place the chocolate and coconut oil in a large frying pan over LOW heat and let the chocolate slowly melt. When it has mostly melted, whisk until smooth and remove the pan from the heat.4 ounces dark chocolate, ¼ cup coconut oil
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg yolks, Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides, sugar, vanilla, and sea salt on high for 1 minute. Pour the melted chocolate into the bowl and sprinkle with the almond flour. Gently fold the chocolate into the eggs.2 large eggs + 2 egg yolks, ¼ cup Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides, ¼ cup coconut sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, ⅛ teaspoon sea salt, 2 tablespoons almond flour
- Divide the batter between the two ramekins, filling nearly to the top. Bake the lava cakes for 10-12 minutes. They are done when the tops have a solid dry crust but still jiggle when shaken. Do not over bake them.
- Let them cool for 1 minute then run a knife along the sides to loosen them. Place a plate on top of one then flip the plate over so the ramekin is upside down on the plate. Carefully remove the ramekin. Garnish with any or all of the optional toppings and serve right away.Berries – raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries are delicious, Whipped cream or ice cream, Caramel or chocolate sauce, A sprinkle of powdered sugar