Chorizo and White Cheddar Egg Scramble with Cilantro Pesto
Breakfast is often my favourite meal. Since the only time I sit down to the first meal of the day is when I have time to truly enjoy it, it always feels special. Think lazy Sunday mornings, hair in a ponytail, Blogged 50 on the stereo, coffee in hand, knowing that the day's biggest task is to sit cross-legged at the table and eat this tasty egg skillet.
♥♥♥ Sunday mornings ♥♥♥
So this. This deliciously eggy skillet. It's chock full of spicy chorizo chunks and melty cheddar cheese.
Make sure you use good-quality aged cheddar for the best flavour. If you're a mild cheddar kind of person I'm going to cover my ears right now and pretend I didn't hear that. → 🙂 ← (that's me covering my ears)
When I first made this I had thought that cilantro pesto would be a little too cilantro-y. You know, cilantro overkill. But for some reason it just works. The flavours of the chorizo and cheddar are quite strong so the cilantro doesn't take over. It's just pure yum.
If you make this Chorizo and White Cheddar Egg Scramble with Cilantro Pesto, make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.Print
This super tasty egg scramble is loaded with spicy chorizo, delicious white cheddar cheese and topped with cilantro pesto. It's a brunch favourite here!
- ½ cup diced chorizo sausage, from about ½ a sausage
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon butter
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- A pinch of sea salt
- 4 large eggs
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- ⅓ cup grated white cheddar, packed
- Add the diced chorizo, onion and butter to a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until both the sausage and onion have browned, about 6-7 minutes. Turn the heat down to medium and remove the pan from the heat for a for 2 minutes to let it cool slightly.
- While the chorizo is cooking make the pesto. Add the cilantro, olive oil and a pinch of sea salt to a small blender (a magic bullet works great) and blend it until it is smooth, about 1 minute.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk the 4 eggs together with 1 teaspoon of water and a scant ⅛ teaspoon of sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Place the frying pan with the chorizo back on the heat and add the eggs to the pan. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Scrape the bottom of the pan slowly and continuously until the eggs are cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and serve immediately with the pesto on top.
This recipe can easily be doubled. Just make sure to use a frying pan large enough for all the eggs.