This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Your weeknight dinner game just got more exciting with this creamy chicken mushroom pasta recipe. Ready in about 45 minutes, this simple pasta dish is guaranteed to be a family favorite that is worth putting on the weekly rotation.
Why Should You Make This Recipe?
- Made with everyday ingredients: While the ingredients list might look a little long, it is likely that you have all the ingredients in your pantry/fridge. If not, a quick trip to your local grocery store would be sufficient to get you cooking.
- One-Pot Meal (Almost!): Yes, you do need to cook the pasta in another pot, but the rest of the dish comes together in one pot making it easy for a weeknight meal.
- Leftovers make the best lunch the next day: While it's unlikely that you will have any leftovers, but if you do, they make the best lunch the next day.
Ingredients in chicken mushroom pasta
The ingredient list for this chicken and mushroom pasta recipe can be divided into 4 categories:
- Chicken & Spices: You can use either chicken breast or chicken thighs in this recipe. Be sure to cut them in one-inch cubes to ensure that they cook evenly. The chicken is seasoned with paprika, kosher salt, and pepper.
- Pasta: You can use any pasta you like/have on hand. Rotini is what you see in the pictures, but farfalle is another good option.
- Vegetables & Mushroom Sauce: You will need a medium-sized onion, baby bella or button mushrooms, garlic, chicken stock, and heavy cream (or half and half).
- Last-minute additions: To take the whole dish to the next level, you will need lemon zest/juice, fresh parsley, and grated parmesan cheese.
How to make chicken mushroom pasta
If you don't mind a little multi-tasking, this creamy chicken and mushroom recipe comes together in just 6 easy steps:
- Prep the pasta: Cook the pasta until it's al dente then drain it and set it aside. No need to reserve any cooking liquid!
- Season the chicken: Season the chicken with paprika, salt, and black pepper.
- Cook the chicken: Sear the chicken until it's golden brown on all sides then remove it from the pan.
- Cook the vegetables: Cook the onion then add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until they are soft. Stir in some minced garlic.
- Add the liquid and chicken: Add the chicken stock, cream (or half & half), and cooked chicken and simmer the sauce until it is lightly thickened.
- Stir the pasta in: Add the cooked pasta to the pan then season with lemon zest, lemon juice, chopped parsley, and grated parmesan cheese.
How to store chicken and mushroom pasta
- Storage: Place the leftovers in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. When ready to serve, heat them in a pot over medium heat for a few minutes. You might have to add a few tablespoons of water if the pasta is sticky.
- Freezing: You can technically freeze this mushroom pasta dish. However, when the pasta thaws it loses its shape and becomes somewhat mushy. If that doesn’t bother you, feel free to freeze the leftovers in an airtight container for up to a month.
- To Thaw: Take it out of the freezer a day before and let it thaw in the fridge. Heat in a pot over medium heat until warm.
- 1 lb pasta (either rotini or farfalle)
- 1 ½ lb chicken breast or thighs (cut into 1 ½ inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (plus more if needed)
- 1 cup chopped onion (from 1 large onion)
- 1 cup chicken stock (divided)
- 16 ounces baby bella or button mushrooms (sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions until it is al dente. Drain and set it aside.1 lb pasta
- Season the chicken with paprika, salt, and black pepper making sure that all pieces are coated with the spices.1 ½ lb chicken breast or thighs, 1 tablespoon sweet paprika, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear it on all sides until it is golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side. The chicken won't be fully cooked. Remove the chicken from the skillet.2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- If there is no oil left in the pan, add a little more then add the onion and 2 tablespoons of chicken stock and cook, stirring constantly, scraping the bottom bits as much as you can.1 cup chopped onion, 1 cup chicken stock
- Once the onion is soft, add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until they release their juices and are soft. Stir in the minced garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.16 ounces baby bella or button mushrooms, 3 cloves garlic
- Add the chicken back into the pan then pour in the remaining chicken stock and cream and bring the pan to a boil. Let it simmer for 7-10 minutes or until it's slightly thickened.1 cup heavy cream
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and gently stir to make sure that all the pasta is coated with the mushroom sauce. Cook medium heat for 3-5 minutes, or until it is warm.
- Stir the lemon zest, lemon juice, and chopped parsley into the pasta then season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle the pasta into bowls and serve it with grated parmesan and more parsley on top.1 lemon, 1 cup chopped fresh parsley, 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.