Bite Sized Appetizers: Smoked Salmon Mousse
Bite sized appetizers are great for any party. These Smoked Salmon Mousse bites are easy to make, delicious, and look cute on a plate.
I have a serious thing for little handheld appetizers. I mean, they're just so damn cute! I really can't help it but seeing a plate full pretty little tasty bites makes me so happy. I think I might have a problem.
These little guys are super flavourful with a tiny bite from the horseradish. Crispy filo cracker + creamy smoked salmon mousse + a playful pop of flying fish roe = the perfect appetizer.
More pretty appetizers:
- Mini Beet and Goat Cheese Salads on Homemade Beet Chips
- Oven Baked Sharp Cheese Bread Bites
- Bacon Deviled Eggs with Caramelized Onion and Cheddar Cheese
- Chickpea and Pumpkin Fritters with Preserved Lemon Aioli
- Oven Roasted Cherry Tomatoes with Basil and Garlic
Bite-sized appetizers are great for any party. These Smoked Salmon Mousse bites are easy to make, delicious, and look cute on a plate.
- 3 sheets filo pastry and a few tablespoons of melted butter
- 1/2 cup smoked salmon
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons horseradish, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, or more to taste
- Optional garnishes: flying fish roe (my fav), dill, lemon zest, capers, finely minced red onion, tiny slice of lemon, freshly grated horseradish, anything else your mind can dream up 🙂
- Carefully lay one sheet of filo pastry on your counter and brush lightly with melted butter. Lay a second sheet over the first and again brush with butter. Finally place the third sheet on top of the other two and press together gently. Using a cookie cutter, carefully cut out small round shapes. Place cut filo on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake according to package directions. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine smoked salmon, cottage cheese, cream cheese, lemon juice, dill, horseradish and salt and stir to evenly combine. Place in a pastry piping bag and set aside in your fridge.
- Just before serving, pipe a small amount of mousse onto each filo cracker and top with a garnish of your choice.
Mousse can be made 1 day ahead and stored in your fridge. It is actually better the next day as the flavours have time to develop.
You can also make the filo crackers 1 day ahead and store them in a sealed container. They are delicate so be careful with them!
Recipe inspired by A Food Centric Life