I remember before the first time I ever made baba ganoush I was a little intimidated by it. If you feel the same way I can assure you there is no need. Baba ganoush is super easy to make. It is a tiny bit time consuming, but only because you have to roast the eggplants. Once they’ve roasted and cooled you’ll only need to wait a couple minutes before you can dig in.
If you’ve never had baba ganoush before, you are going to love it. It’s super creamy with a smokey, garlicky taste. It has a richness to it that will have you thinking it must not be good for you, but it is. The only fat in this is the optional oil you can drizzle on top. I would have left it off it it didn’t make the pictures look extra pretty.
How do you serve baba ganoush? I was eating it by the spoonful about 1 second after I finished the photo shoot. Here are a few other ideas:
- As a dip with homemade pita chips or cut up veggies
- On a sandwich or pita pocket
- On top of slow roasted lamb or beef
- As part of a big mezze or tapas platter
- Add a dollop to your veggies or rice
Make sure to follow The Endless Meal!
- 2 eggplants
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated with a microplane or finely minced
- Salt to taste
- Optional: top with olive oil, pomegranate seeds, sesame seeds or minced parsley
- Using a fork polk several holes over each eggplant.
- Place eggplants on your bbq at high heat. Alternatively you can broil them in your oven for a slightly less smokey flavour.
- Cook eggplants for 20-30 minutes, turning once, until they are soft but well charred on the outside.
- Remove eggplants from bbq and place in a bowl covered with tin foil.
- Once eggplants are cool enough to handle (you can place them in your fridge if you get impatient, like me) peel the skin off and place all the flesh in a bowl. Add any of the liquid left in the bowl the eggplants were cooling in to the eggplant flesh.
- Place all the eggplant flesh and liquid into a food processor. Add tahini, lemon juice, garlic and salt and process till smooth. You can also use a fork for a chunkier texture.
- Place baba ganoush in a bowl and top with optional ingredients if desired.
Want another way to eat eggplant? Try these:
Want some more yummy dips? Here area a few: