These super easy to make Crock Pot Chicken Taco Lettuce Boats are perfect for a healthy Mexican fiesta. The shredded chicken is smothered in a delicious chipotle, orange, and pineapple sauce and heaped inside crunchy lettuce wraps.
Friends, it's Taco Thursday!! We're making that a thing cause Cinco de Mayo is coming up and I can't stop myself from turning this blog into an everything Mexican food fiesta. 🇲🇽
We're making that a thing cause Cinco de Mayo is coming up and I can't stop myself from turning this blog into an everything Mexican fiesta. Mexican food forever and always.
Only these tacos are more like lettuce wraps because this Whole30 adventure continues and tortillas are out. Insert sad face emoji. Not that I have anything to be sad about; these chicken taco lettuce boats are AMAZING!
Bonus: If you've got peeps at your table who would rather stick to tradition, you can totally use regular tortillas. My handsome man pulled the corn flour out of the pantry and fried himself some tortillas when he realized these tacos were really lettuce wraps.
These chicken taco lettuce wraps were inspired by an old recipe on the blog for a Chipotle Orange Pulled Chicken Sandwich. I added some pineapple, pulled out my crock pot, and did away with the sandwich part. I don't think there's any going back. Not even in 13 more days when I cross the finish line of my Whole30 adventure.
Although I'll be honest with you guys, I'm dying for anything and everything I'm not supposed to have. Like, in a miserable and grumpy two-year-old kind of way. I've never been very good at doing what I'm told and following the rules, even if those rules are self-imposed.
Today I was at the grocery store and wanted chocolate SO FRICKIN BAD! It wasn't a craving though, I only wanted it cause I'm not allowed to have it. Ok ok, those three packs of Ferrero Rocher that tease me at every checkout might have been a bit of a craving. What is it about those things that are so good? Seriously love them.
Anyway, enough about the chocolate I can't eat. Let's talk tacos.
Here's what you're going to do with these chicken taco lettuce boats:
♡ Pop the chicken, pineapple, orange, and chipotle into your crock pot and turn it on.
♡ Walk away. ← How is that even a step. Ahh … worst pun ever. 🙈
♡ Shred the chicken with 2 forks. Pulled chicken is the best! Ok, maybe pulled pork is the better. But whatevs.
♡ Pile that juicy chicken into lettuce wraps and top with some avocado slices and a bunch of fresh pineapple chunks.
♡ Dig in!
- 1 cup minced pineapple
- Juice from 2 large oranges, about ½ cup
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-4 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, depending on how spicy you like it (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 chicken breasts
- Crispy lettuce - living butter lettuce works the best
- Sliced avocado
- Pineapple chunks
- In the bowl of your crock pot, mix the pineapple, orange juice, garlic, chipotle peppers, and Dijon mustard. Add the chicken breasts and set your crock pot to high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- Shred the chicken using 2 forks.
- Pile the shredded chicken into the lettuce boats and top with sliced avocado, pineapple, and cilantro. I think it's best to let everyone make their own taco boats.
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- Fresh Pineapple Margaritas with Sweet and Spicy Rim Salt - May 25, 2017
- Pan Fried Chicken and Mushrooms with Creamy Cauliflower Mash - May 23, 2017
- Lifesaving Lemony Salad Dressing - May 19, 2017