How was your weekend? Was it amazing? I spent this weekend soaking up the year’s first truly warm and sunny spring days in our beautiful capital, Victoria. Yiippee!! It’s been years since I’ve been there and was instantly enthralled by it again.
We spent time in the inner harbour wandering around the marinas, sipped many glasses of wine and beer on sunny patios, wandered around the cobblestone streets and dreamt of living in the gorgeous old Victorian era homes, sat by the clear blue sea, breathed in the fresh ocean air and ate at many great restaurants.
I also got to add 2 new restaurants to my Favourite Restaurants List. Yay!
Rebar, a cute and incredibly delicious vegetarian restaurant, serves the best brunch I’ve ever had. Lunch was equally amazing and the desserts were out of this world. Had we been thinking clearly we would have eaten brunch there everyday we were in town.
Then there was Stage. Oh sexy sexy Stage. She seduced us with candlelight, negronis and the world’s best gnocchi. If you are in Victoria please promise me you will have dinner here at least once.
It was a perfect 3 day mini vacation.
A perfect mini vacation that has nothing at all to do with this Chorizo, Tomato and Egg Skillet Breakfast. Except maybe that they’re both perfect in their own completely different ways.
Chorizo might just be the new bacon. *Gasp!* I know, for something to compete with bacon it’s got to be pretty damn amazing. I’ve been playing around with throwing chorizo into a number of dishes lately and every time whatever I’m making gets about 1.853 million times better.
This is one of those types of breakfasts that comes together so quickly that it can almost be classified as a weekday breakfast but it is tasty and hearty enough for a special weekend morning.
It’s spicy (unless you use non-spicy chorizo, but why would you do that?) and when the eggs run into the tomatoes and get all mixed up and creamy it’s like a little bit of spicy, creamy heaven. And this coming from a girl who doesn’t even like runny egg yolks. → I know know, there’s something wrong with me ←
Spicy, creamy, rich, tasty, breakfast = bliss 🙂
If you make this Chorizo Tomato and Egg Breakfast Skillet, make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- ½ cup chopped chorizo
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- A small splash of red wine (or, in a pinch, water)
- 4 large eggs
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium sized skillet over medium high heat. Add the chopped chorizo and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the onion and continue to cook for 3 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the tomatoes, garlic and a small splash of red wine and cook until it is hot and bubbly.
- Reduce the heat to low. Using your spatula create little wells in the tomato chorizo sauce for your eggs to sit in. Carefully crack the eggs into the wells.
- Cook the eggs, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes, or until the whites are cooked through and the yolks are still runny. Keep them on the heat a few extra minutes if you would like your eggs less runny.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, season to taste with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper and serve immediately.