Turkey Stock Recipe
This homemade turkey stock recipe is super easy to make. Use your Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey to make a batch. You'll be so happy that you did!
If you've ever wondered what to do with the leftover bones from your Thanksgiving turkey dinner, here's what you do: make homemade turkey stock.
It might sound complicated or too difficult but it's not. It's basically a matter of throwing a few things in a large pot, simmering it for a number of hours, and then straining it. Easy!
The difference between homemade and store-bought stock is pretty unbelievable.
But this recipe does come with a warning: once you try homemade turkey stock you will have a difficult time going back to the stuff you buy in a store.
How long does turkey stock last?
Homemade turkey stock will keep for 2-3 days in a container in your fridge.
Can turkey stock be frozen?
Yes! Turkey stock keeps for at least 6 months in your freezer. We've found that the best way to store turkey broth is in these reusable Stasher freezer bags. You can use your turkey stock in any recipe that calls for chicken stock.
Use your turkey stock in these recipes:
Turkey Stock Recipe
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- Bones from 1 turkey
Optional Ingredients (see notes)
- 2 medium onions, quartered (you can leave the skin on)
- 2 medium celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 head garlic, cut in half (no need to peel the cloves)
- ½ teaspoon peppercorns
- Optional: rosemary branch, a few sage leaves, a few sprigs of thyme
- Sea salt, to taste
- Remove the meat from the turkey bones then break the bones into chunks that will fit into your pot.
- Put the ingredients into a large pot and cover with 2-3 inches of water. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat so that it stays at a very gently simmer. You don’t want it to boil as it will make the stock look dirty. It won’t affect the taste but it won’t look as nice and clear. Continue to simmer gently, uncovered, for about 4 hours.Bones from 1 turkey, 2 medium onions, 2 medium celery stalks, 2 medium carrots, 1 head garlic, ½ teaspoon peppercorns, Optional: rosemary branch, a few sage leaves, a few sprigs of thyme
- Remove from the heat and strain through a colander into a large bowl. Place a fine-mesh sieve over another bowl and strain once more to remove any small particles. Season to taste with sea salt.Sea salt