Roasted Eggplant with Creamy Harissa and Pistachios
This Roasted Eggplant with Creamy Harissa and Pistachios is the perfect vegetarian side dish. You will love this Middle Eastern-inspired recipe. It's so filling, healthy, and the perfect side.
Oh hello, you delicious roasted eggplant!
Are you with me on the whole eggplant is amazing thing? It's one of those rare vegetables that, once it's well roasted, transforms into something rich, decadent and almost meaty tasting. I put it in the category of roasted cauliflower and sautéed mushrooms. It's a vegetable, of course, but only sort of.
This recipe has made me realize that there are not enough eggplants in my life. Other than throwing them into every Thai curry I've ever made, and occasionally tossing them on the bbq, I rarely ever make them. That's going to change. Like, starting today. I hope you guys like eggplants too!
For this recipe, I've made a simple sauce made with goat cheese and harissa that is spread on the eggplants after they're well roasted. The goat cheese calms the spice of the harissa so what you're left with is creamy, flavor-packed amazingness.
Then there are the pistachios. I ♥♥♥ pistachios! Don't skip them!
You might notice when you go to make the sauce that I've said you can either add oil or water. Say what?! I feel like I need to explain …
You see, over the past few years, there's been this thing that's happened. It's been creeping up so slowly that I hardly even noticed it. It's this 10 lb. thing, and it's not sitting so well with me. I'm mean really, I eat pretty darn well most of the time. Yes, I probably have too many bourbon sours and fish tacos, it's true. But 10 lb. worth of sours and tacos? Seems crazy.
Anyway, calories in/ calories out. Or so ‘they' say. Most of the time when I make this sauce I make it with olive oil, but not today. Today my My Fitness Pal app told me that would have put me over my daily allotment of calories.
Wait, what? Who am I? This whole calorie counting thing (CCT) is new to me and feels so strange!
Anyway, if you too are doing the CCT then choose the water option over oil. Or if you're a normal person just ignore everything I just said. 🙂
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
Other Delicious Eggplant Recipes:
- The Best Easy Eggplant Involtini
- Crispy Eggplant Fries with Chipotle Aioli
- Chickpea, Tofu, and Eggplant Curry
- Easy Vegetarian Eggplant Parmesan
- Sweet and Spicy Asian Eggplant
Roasted Eggplant with Creamy Harissa and Pistachios
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 2 large eggplants, cut in half lengthwise, then in half again
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay the eggplant slices, skin side down, on the baking sheet, drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Roast the eggplants in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until they are soft and brown.2 large eggplants, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon sea salt
- While the eggplants are roasting, prepare the creamy harissa sauce. In a small bowl, mix the harissa, goat cheese, olive oil or water, balsamic, and garlic.2 tablespoons goat cheese, 1-2 tablespoons harissa paste, 1 tablespoon olive oil or water, ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar, 1 clove garlic
- When you pull the eggplants out of the oven use a spoon to brush the tops with the creamy harissa sauce and sprinkle the pistachios over the top. Garnish with a little cilantro, if you'd like. Serve immediately.¼ cup shelled pistachios, Cilantro
It says this is paleo but its asking for goat cheese.. Any subs for the goat cheese?
I apologize for the confusion. This recipe was miscategorized. I would think some tahini or cashew butter would give it a creamy texture and keep it paleo. 🙂
I intended to make this for my family but………I ATE IT ALL!! I couldn’t find Harissa so I used spicy tomato sauce. Soo good ????
Ha ha that is awesome!!!!
My husband and I are huge eggplant fans! In fact I think my husband has an eggplant disorder haha! He wants them every night!! This recipe is genius! I can’t wait to try it. : )
Ha ha an eggplant disorder … that’s awesome!
Have you tried eggplant fries? They’re another fav recipe of mine. 🙂
Do you eat the eggplant skin too? I heard there’s a lot of nutrients in the skin.
Absolutely I do!!
Oh Eggplant, how I love you. This looks freakin’ amazingly beautiful and delicious!
Eggplant’s the best, right?! I could seriously eat it everyday. 🙂
It sure is. I grew up eating breaded and fried eggplant that I would dip in apple sauce. Sounds strange but it’s so good. It’s the first thing I learned to cook when I was a kid and I would pretend I was making it on a cooking show. hehe
Oh man. I think this is the most beautiful eggplant I’ve ever seen! I just love all these ingredients. Harissa is my JAM! And pistachios too. Can’t wait to try this out!
Aww thank you so much, Liz!! I can’t get enough of harissa either!
To be honest, I am not a fan of eggplant. But this looks absolutely insanely delicious. So, I may need to give it one more whirl. 😉
It’s definitely worth giving another shot! This recipe is super flavourful and the eggplants are nice and creamy. I hope it turns you into an eggplant fan!