Oyster Po’ Boy with Sweet Onion Relish and Chipotle Aioli
We've made it! I'll admit to you now that about half way through I thought, “who was the fool who thought up this idea?” I love sandwiches as much as you do, but a six part Sandwich Series? At midway that seemed a bit excessive. I'm glad you stuck with me, though; I think there've been some kick ass sandwiches along the way. My two personal favourites have been this oyster po' boy and the Prosciutto, Blue Cheese and Candied Pecan Panini.
I have a bit of an obsession with oyster po' boy sandwiches. Can you fault me?
My absolute favourite in my search limited to the City of Vancouver, is the oyster po'boy from Go Fish, just outside of Granville Island. The oysters are crunchy, fresh with sea water and smothered in sweet onions, chipotle creme and Go Fish's homemade tartar sauce. It is a messy, juice running down your arms kind of sandwich. It is the kind of sandwich that you finish then want more. Just one more bite, no, wait, one more sandwich, please and thank you very much.
If you are a local to Vancouver and have never had this sandwich, stop whatever it is you are doing and head to Go Fish. If you are not from around here, you're going to love this recipe. You're welcome, in advance 🙂
More tasty sandwiches
- Bacon, Caramelized Onion and Chipotle Aioli Sandwich
- Grilled Cheese and Apple Sandwich with Sriracha Butter
- Roast Beef Sandwich with Radishes and Spicy Wasabi
- Chipotle and Orange Pulled Chicken with a Southwest Slaw
- Prosciutto, Blue Cheese and Candied Pecan Panini
This is one serious oyster po' boy sandwich. The crispy oysters sit on a bed of crunchy sesame slaw and are covered in onion relish and chipotle aioli. Yum!
- 12 oysters, shucked and rinsed in salt water
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg, beaten
- Oil for frying
- 1 onion, thickly cut and sautéed till soft with oil and 2 teaspoons of sugar
- Chipotle Aioli
- 4 large Portuguese or kaiser buns
- 2 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon light miso paste
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Combine the flour and paprika in a sealable container. Add the oysters and shake to coat.
- Dip the flour covered oysters in the beaten egg then immediately place in panko. Press panko onto each oyster so that they are thoroughly covered.
- Fry in hot oil until lightly brown. Remove and place on a cookie sheet.
- In a small bowl mix the sesame oil, miso paste, rice vinegar and honey. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix the cabbage, carrot and onion. Toss to coat with sesame oil mixture and top with sesame seeds.
- To prepare the sandwich, spread the chipotle aioli on the bread, top with onion and fried oysters. The slaw can either be served on the side or in the sandwich.