Move over fresh mint chocolate chip ice cream, I have a new favourite. If you were around for last week's ice cream recipe, you'd know that my last attempt at coconut ice cream didn't turn out as well as I had wanted it to. It was more tart sour lime than coconut. I wanted coconut.
So here it is: the best coconut ice cream I've ever made (out of two attempts) and the best coconut ice cream I've ever eaten (out of many many attempts.)
Did I mention that it is also incredibly easy to make, uses only four ingredients and is dairy-free? And check out the ingredient list, I think it is pretty healthy too 🙂Print
Toasting the coconut before it goes into the ice cream makes it so much richer and nuttier than regular coconut ice cream. You will love it!
- 2 cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup cane sugar (or substitute brown sugar)
- 2 1/2 cups sweetened coconut, lightly toasted (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 vanilla bean (or 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract)
- Add the coconut milk and cane sugar to a pot and warm over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape the seeds out with the dull edge of a knife. Add the seeds and bean to the coconut milk. Stir in the toasted coconut and set aside to cool.
- Once cool, place in the fridge until it is very cold.
- Process in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturers directions.
- Serve in cones or bowls and top with lightly toasted coconut.
To toast the coconut, place it in a large pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Keep a close eye on it, it can burn very quickly.
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- Cheesy Roasted Garlic Artichoke Olive Dip - December 13, 2017
- Sausage and Egg Breakfast Bake - December 11, 2017
- Holiday Spiced Almond Shortbread Cookies + a Vitamix Giveaway - December 9, 2017