This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These easy zucchini patties are moist, crispy, and falafel-like. They're made with fresh ingredients like grated zucchini, chickpeas, feta cheese, fresh dill, and lemon, then pan-fried until golden. They're a super tasty light meal or snack, and they're ready in just 30 minutes!
These zucchini patties are one of our favorite things to make with fresh zucchini. They taste a bit like falafel, are bursting with flavor, and they're oh-so-easy to make!
This is a recipe that's enjoyable year-round, but it's our go-to when find ourselves with an abundance of zucchini in the heat of summer.
Shredded zucchini makes up the bulk of the batter, but we also add chickpeas to make them more hearty and give them more texture. The flavors of the salty feta, fresh dill, and lemon work really well together to create a tasty Mediterranean-inspired zucchini patty.
Enjoy them with the creamy yogurt dip as a vegetarian main, snack, or appetizer. They freeze well so if you've got a lot of zucchinis to use up, double the batch and freeze some for later!
How to make zucchini patties
These zucchini cakes are an easy and delicious light meal or snack. Just grate the zucchinis, mash the chickpeas, stir everything together, and fry them in little patties until they're golden.
Here's how we make them in a couple of simple steps:
- Start by grating your zucchinis. Lay them out on a paper towel (or clean kitchen towel), sprinkle them with salt, let them rest, then squeeze them to drain as much liquid as possible.
- Mash the chickpeas with a fork in a bowl. Mix in all the other ingredients (except the flour), and stir to combine. Lastly, stir in the flour.
- Make the yogurt dip by mixing all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Cook the patties in a non-stick pan or skillet with some oil. You want them to be golden brown on both sides. Serve warm with some yogurt dip on the side.
Zucchini patties ingredients
This zucchini patties recipe is full of delicious whole ingredients. Here's everything you need to make them:
- Zucchini – look for small firm green zucchini. You can also use larger summer zucchinis if that's what you've got but they contain more water and have a spongier texture.
- Chickpeas – chickpeas are a rich source of plant-based protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They add a wonderful texture to the patties, and make them more satiating too!
- Feta cheese – salty, tangy feta cheese adds a flavorful dimension to these patties.
- Fresh dill – fresh dill has a distinct, bright, licorice-like taste. You can also use other fresh herbs like thyme, basil, or parsley.
- Lemon juice + lemon zest – we use both the juice and the zest for a bright pop of citrus flavor.
- Sea salt + black pepper + garlic – flavor!
- Green onions – green onions are milder than regular onions, but still offer a lot of flavor.
- Eggs – eggs work as a binder to help keep these patties together. Plus, they are super nutritious and a complete source of protein.
- All-purpose flour – we use regular all-purpose flour. Use a 1:1 gluten-free flour blend if needed.
- Olive oil – we use extra virgin olive oil to saute these patties.
Tips for making the best zucchini patties
This zucchini patties recipe is easy to make, but here are a few tips we've picked up along the way:
- Try to squeeze out as much excess moisture from the grated zucchini as possible. This makes them extra crispy!
- Make sure your oil is hot (but not burning). If it's not hot enough, it will soak into the patty making your patties oily. You can test it by dropping a tiny bit of batter into your pan. If it splatters, it's ready.
- To speed up the cooking process, get a couple of pans going on your stove at the same time. This way you can enjoy the zucchini patties while they're still hot.
- While you're at it, make a double batch. You'll never regret the leftovers and they freeze well, too!
What to serve with zucchini patties
These zucchini fritters are delicious as a light meal, side dish, snack, or appetizer.
Turn them into a healthy summertime meal with a simple spring mix salad and some grilled sausage on the side.
Serve them on their own with some creamy yogurt dipping sauce, tuck them into a pita, or serve them atop a Mediterranean-style grain bowl. There are so many ways to enjoy them!
Can I freeze zucchini patties?
Yes! Once they're cooled, store them in an airtight container or reusable silicone bag (we like these ones), and they'll keep in your freezer for up to two months. Thaw them before reheating.
What's the best way to reheat zucchini patties?
To reheat zucchini patties, place them on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-15 minutes or until warmed through.
How long do they keep in the fridge?
Store any leftover zucchini patties in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Can I use sour cream instead of yogurt for the dip?
Yep! Sour cream tends to be a bit thicker and higher in fat than yogurt but it will offer a similar tanginess.
Popular zucchini recipes
- Zucchini Boats
- Pesto Zucchini Noodles
- Zucchini Cornbread Muffins with Chili Honey Butter
- Garlic Parmesan Zucchini
- 2 small zucchinis (coarsely grated and squeezed dry)
- 15 ounce can of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- ⅓ cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill ( finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon EACH: lemon juice and lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- 2 green onions (finely chopped)
- 2 large eggs (lightly whisked)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (can be light)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Shred the zucchini in a food processor fitted with a shredding disk or use a box grater. Transfer the zucchini to a clean kitchen towel or a few sheets of strong paper towel and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Allow it to rest for 10 minutes and then squeeze out the excess liquid.2 small zucchinis
- Add chickpeas to a medium-sized bowl and crush them with a fork. Mix in the squeeze-dried zucchini, feta cheese, dill, lemon juice and zest, green onions, eggs, garlic, black pepper, lemon juice and zest, salt, pepper, green onions, eggs, and garlic. Add flour gradually and stir to combine.15 ounce can of chickpeas, ⅓ cup feta cheese, 2 tablespoons fresh dill, 1 tablespoon EACH: lemon juice and lemon zest, ½ teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper, 2 green onions, 2 large eggs, 1 clove garlic, ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Mix the yogurt dip ingredients together in a small bowl.⅓ cup Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 pinch sea salt
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over low heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the batter to the pan and use the back of a spatula to gently press it into a 2-inch fritter. Repeat until the pan is full then fry until golden brown on both sides, 3 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining batter adding more oil to the pan if it becomes dry. Serve the zucchini patties with the yogurt dip on the side.4 tablespoons olive oil
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.