There's a dirty little secret no one wants to share with you. Sure it all looks great from the outside: expensing restaurant meals, taking cool pictures, making delicious food, etc, etc. But there's a dark side too. Food blogging is bad for the waistline. There, I said it.
With all the chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream and spaghetti and meatballs and fried oyster po' boys smothered in chipotle aioli being consumed around here it's nearly impossible not to feel a little softer around the middle. I've never been one to do that thing called ‘watching my weight' before but I think it might be time before I end up watching myself eat my way into a new jean size.
That's what the ‘healthy' in the chickpea and zucchini patties in all about.
They're like an extra moist and tasty falafel, delicious on their own or in a pita. Baked instead of fried these little patties are still a little crispy despite not being fried in oil. I served them with no fat Greek yogurt (cringe, that sounds sacrilegious to my ears.) There's no way I can sit here and tell you that no fat yogurt is worth eating. It's not, in my opinion. But no fat Greek yogurt still manages to be thick and creamy and a close replica of the original.
- 1 - 15.5-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 zucchini, coarsely grated and squeezed dry
- 1 small red onion, coarsely grated and squeezed dry
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Grapeseed or olive oil for pan
- 4 whole-wheat pitas
- Low-fat Greek yogurt, mixed with a few tablespoons of lemon juice
- Baby lettuce
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash the chickpeas in a bowl or food processor till smooth.
- Remove the chickpeas from the food processor and mix in a bowl with the zucchini, onion, breadcrumbs, egg, and salt.
- Form into patties and place on an oiled baking sheet or cast iron pan.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes on each side.
- Serve in pitas with yogurt, lettuce, and mint.
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- Summer Veggie Grilled Steak Tacos - June 25, 2017
- Grilled Zucchini Salad with Corn, Chickpeas, Sprouts and a Creamy Sunflower Dressing - June 23, 2017
- Blog Income Report – May 2017 - June 22, 2017