This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These fresh spring rolls are quick and easy to make and so delicious. Filled with hummus, pad Thai noodles, and your favorite veggies, they make an ideal appetizer or healthy lunch. Serve them with an addictive spicy tahini dip. You'll love them!
Want an easy to make and delicious appetizer recipe that just so happens to be healthy, too? I thought you might! The chefs at Summer Fresh came up with the idea for these spring rolls, and we think they're brilliant.
Why we love these fresh spring rolls
- Pad Thai Salad (thank you, Summer Fresh, for making that for us!) Noodles belong in fresh rolls, but why are they always so plain? Adding pad Thai noodles is a much better idea.
- Hummus (also thanks to Summer Fresh) is another brilliant addition. It adds a little bit of creaminess which spring rolls crave.
- The dip, cause let's be honest, dip makes everything better. Especially when it's a creamy tahini dip with a few big scoops of Summer Fresh Spicy Hummus to make it extra delicious.
- We love serving these fresh rolls as a vegetarian appetizer. But they're also delicious as a light lunch ← they pack well!
- Healthy and delicious. Just the way we like it!
Fresh spring rolls ingredients
Making fresh rolls can be a lot of fun as you can get creative with the fillings. To make these ones we use:
Pad Thai Salad – Made by Summer Fresh so you don't have to spend an hour cooking it. Traditionally, fresh spring rolls have vermicelli rice noodles in them. Swapping them for pad thai noodles is WAY tastier!
Avocado Hummus – Also made by Summer Fresh. We're keeping life easy here. The hummus adds a nice creamy element to the rolls.
Crunchy Veggies – I'm looking at you, pretty purple cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, lettuce, and cilantro. You can switch up the veggies if you have other favorites. Just make sure they are thinly sliced.
Rice Paper – This is what you'll use to wrap the fresh rolls. It's available in the Asian section of most grocery stores.
Why we love Summer Fresh Dips
Because they make life easy and delicious, of course!
Summer Fresh has a whole lineup of hummus, dips, salads and salad dressings, and easy meals and snacks. Whether we're cooking dinner or planning a party, letting Summer Fresh do some of the work makes our life so much easier.
In this recipe, Summer Fresh makes the avocado hummus, the pad Thai salad, and the spicy hummus that's in the dip. Trust me, you don't want to make all those things yourself. Let Summer Fresh do that hard work and you can roll up the finished product.
And if you're looking for more appetizer recipes (aren't we all!) then I really encourage you to check out the ones on Summer Fresh. They have an amazing lineup that makes me hungry every time I look at them. Some of my favorites are:
- Prosciutto Rolls ← so festive!
- Hummus & Baba Ghanouj Toasted Sweet Potato Rounds
- Spicy Hummus Mini Grilled Cheese
- Roasted Red Pepper Roll-Ups
How to wrap fresh spring rolls
Wrapping spring rolls might sound tricky, but if you can roll a burrito, you can do this.
- Lay your ingredients in the top third of the spring roll wrapper. Just like with a burrito, don't overstuff or you'll struggle to close it. Make sure to leave some room at the sides to fold the edges in.
- Now fold the short end over your fillings (see the picture above) and tuck it under the fillings to hold them snug.
- Fold the sides in and roll until the wrapper seals itself.
Done! You've just made a spring roll!
Tips for rolling spring rolls
The only slightly tricky part about rolling spring rolls is wetting the wrapper the right amount. Too little and it won't stick. Too much and it will tear apart.
You want to soak the wrapper for about 20 seconds in hot tap water.
Make sure to work with only 1 wrapper at a time. Once it's soft and pliable, assemble and roll your spring roll before soaking the next wrapper.
And if a few wrappers tear as you're getting the hang of it, don't worry. There are always plenty of wrappers in a package so you'll have more than you need for this recipe.
How to store spring rolls
If you're serving these as a party appetizer, you probably don't want to fuss over rolling them last minute. But don't worry, fresh spring rolls can be made a day ahead. (They will last for 2-3 days in your fridge, but are best eaten the day they are made.)
The rice paper sticks to itself (which is how these rolls stay shut) so you don't want the rolls touching each other. Wrap them individually in plastic wrap. To reduce the amount of plastic, I lay a sheet down and fold the edge over 1 spring roll then add another and fold again. You can get more spring rolls wrapped using less plastic that way.
Spring rolls will dry out if they are stored unwrapped, so keep that in mind if trying plastic-free alternatives.
Make sure to check out these other Summer Fresh recipes
- Bruschetta Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Roasted Red Pepper Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- Tzatziki Avocado Salmon Rolls
- Sheet Pan Tzatziki Chicken
Subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
Favorite Appetizer Recipes
- Tzatziki Avocado Salmon Rolls
- Lazy Devilled Eggs
- The Best Baba Ganoush
- Mini BLT Tomato Cups
- Chorizo Stuffed Mushroom Caps
- Mini Cucumber Smoked Salmon Appetizer Bites with Lemon Dill Cream Cheese
- 8 sheets rice paper (spring roll wrappers)
- ½ cup Summer Fresh Avocado Hummus (their edamame hummus works well, too)
- Summer Fresh Pad Thai Salad (300-gram container)
- 1 cup lettuce (sliced)
- 1 cup very thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and cut into matchsticks or sliced into strips)
- 2 mini cucumbers (thinly sliced or sliced into strips with a julienne peeler)
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup Summer Fresh Spicy Hummus
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Fill a small, shallow container (big enough to fit the rice paper wrappers) with hot tap water. Place one sheet of rice paper in the water and let it soak for 15-20 seconds, until it is soft and pliable. Remove it from the water and lay it on a clean surface.8 sheets rice paper
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the Summer Fresh Avocado Hummus along the top third of the wrapper. Top with a scoop of Summer Fresh Pad Thai Salad, and a little of the lettuce, cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, and cilantro.½ cup Summer Fresh Avocado Hummus, Summer Fresh Pad Thai Salad, 1 cup lettuce, 1 cup very thinly sliced red cabbage, 2 medium carrots, 2 mini cucumbers, ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- Fold the short edge of the wrapper over the fillings then fold in the sides and roll up like a burrito. Cut the spring roll in half and place it on a serving tray. Repeat with the remaining spring rolls.
Spicy Tahini Hummus Dip
- In a small bowl, whisk together the hummus, tahini, tamari, and maple syrup. Whisk in 1-2 tablespoons of cold water until creamy.¼ cup Summer Fresh Spicy Hummus, 1 tablespoon tahini, 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce, 1 tablespoon maple syrup
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.