So here I go being all gluten free on you again. But don't worry, you would never know there's no gluten in these fish cakes. Trust me, you won't miss it. I think it's really important that if you need to cut something out of your diet you don't feel like it's missing.
I'm going to be honest … I really didn't think these were going to turn out very well. They definitely weren't supposed to turn into a blog post. It was more like one of those afternoons where I realize I'm starving and there's nothing in the house. And by nothing at all I mean nothing but some salmon trimmings in the freezer, a can of coconut milk and some Thai curry paste. What's a girl to do?
The mango avocado salsa came the day after. Without it, these are a little boring, I'll admit. BUT … with the salsa, they are absolutely amazing. Seriously. It's sweet, crunchy, creamy with just a hint of fresh lime. It's the perfect complement to Thai flavored fish cakes with just a tiny hint of spice. Match made in heaven, or some corny line like that.
They were also really good the day after straight out of the fridge. Or actually about 10 minutes out of the fridge after I took these shots and my growling stomach couldn't wait a second longer to have them. Made me think they will make a great addition to a picnic lunch this summer.
Speaking of summer, is it summery where you are? Here in Vancouver, we were teased with a few weeks of gorgeous, summertime beach weather at the beginning of May. Now that's been cruelly ripped away and we're back to rain and clouds. Will you cross your fingers for me that we get some heat and sunshine this weekend? And I'll do the same for you. 🙂
If you make these Thai Fish Cakes with Mango Avocado Salsa make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.
- 1½ lbs. of raw salmon, pin bones and skin removed
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons red Thai curry paste (see note)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ inch piece of ginger, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon siracha
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 mango, cut into small cubes
- 1 avocado, cut into small cubes
- ¼ red pepper, cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Juice from half a lime
- A pinch of sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl and stir gently to mix. Set aside.
- Add the coconut milk, Thai curry paste, garlic, ginger, and sriracha to a large frying pan over medium-high heat and mix well. Add the salmon to the pan and let it poach for 10 minutes. Break the salmon into pieces using a wooden spoon and continue to cook until the pan is mostly dry. Let the salmon cool.
- Add the egg and mix well. Form into 6 patties. If using, dust each side with a little flour.
- Add a splash of oil to a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the fish cakes and cook until crispy on one side, about 3 minutes. Carefully flip them over and cook until crispy on the other side.
- Serve topped with plenty of salsa.
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- Coconut Black Lentil Curry (vegan dal makhani) - February 24, 2017
- Coconut Lemon Energy Balls - February 21, 2017
- Sweet Potato Noodle Stir Fry with Thai Peanut Lime Sauce - February 17, 2017