Move over fresh mint chocolate chip ice cream, I have a new favourite. If you were around for last week’s Ice Cream Sundays you’ll know that my last attempt at coconut ice cream didn’t turn out as well as I had wanted it to. It was more tart sour lime than coconut. I wanted coconut.
So here it is: the best coconut ice cream I’ve ever made (out of two attempts) and the best coconut ice cream I’ve ever eaten (out of many many attempts.)
Did I mention that it is also incredibly easy to make, uses only 4 ingredients and is dairy-free? And check out the ingredient list, I think it is pretty healthy too
- 2 cans unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ cup cane sugar (or substitute brown sugar)
- 2½ cups sweetened coconut, lightly toasted (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 vanilla bean (or 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract)
- Add coconut milk and cane sugar to a pot and warm over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Split vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape seeds out with the dull edge of a knife. Add seeds and bean to coconut milk. Stir in toasted coconut and set aside to cool.
- Once cool, place in fridge till very cold.
- Process in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturers directions.
- Serve in cones or bowls and top with lightly toasted coconut.