This healthy cranberry coffee cake was supposed to be an oatmeal breakfast bar. I went to bed thinking about breakfast bars and woke up thinking about my Grandma's cranberry coffee cake. I don't know what happened over night, but I can assure you my idea became a few hundred times better.
Every summer when my sister and I were kids we would spend a week with our Grandma at her rustic cabin at the edge her favourite fishing lake. She cooked her meals on a discarded antique wood burning stove that she found and hauled out of the lake. Can you imagine not burning EVERYTHING in an oven that's temperature is controlled by the amount of wood you feed it? Ya, neither can I.
She'd feed us constantly. Like, we'd barely get through one meal and there would be another in front of us. First there was the pre-breakfast snack, then breakfast, then an after breakfast snack, then a bite before lunch, then lunch, and then …. it went on like this all day.
My favourite was the after breakfast snack; it was always cranberry coffee cake. Or some sort of coffee cake, I remember it being sweet/tart so I think it was cranberry. Oh man, I could eat a whole pan of that stuff, even if I'd already finished my pre-breakfast and breakfast.
I've asked my mom to see if she can find the recipe and when she does I'll make sure to share it with you. It's full of flour, butter and sugar and totally worth pigging out on.
THIS cranberry coffee cake is a different story. I've replaced the butter with coconut oil, ground healthy oats to replace the flour and used honey rather than processed white sugar. I'll admit that I was sceptical when I started working on this recipe. I'm not one for making desserts healthy, but this one totally worked out.
While this cranberry coffee cake is not as good as Grandma's (obviously!) you'll be amazed at how much this resembles traditional coffee cake.
Even though I'm calling this Cranberry Coffee Cake, I've been eating it for breakfast all week long. Is that wrong? I mean, it's really like eating a bowl of oatmeal in cake form. And beside, it's called COFFEE cake, so obviously it's meant to be eaten with coffee. At breakfast. Obvs.
We should be calling it Healthy Breakfast Cranberry Coffee Cake. Maybe I should change the name. What do you think?
If you make this Healthy Cranberry Coffee Cake make sure you snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos.
- 2 cups rolled oats - or a scant 2 cups of oat flour (use gluten-free, if needed)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup milk (I use almond, but any neutral flavoured milk will work)
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lb. fresh or frozen cranberries (thawed if frozen)
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¾ cups oats
- ½ cup oat flour
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Grease an 11x9" baking dish with coconut oil.
- Place 2½ cups + 2 tablespoons of oats in your food processor and pulse a few times so they turn into oat flour.
- In a large bowl mix together a scant 2 cups of the oat flour, the baking powder, baking soda and sea salt. In a medium sized bowl mix together the milk, ½ cup of melted coconut oil, ½ cup honey, eggs and vanilla. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Pour the batter into prepared baking dish.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the cranberries, ¼ cup honey, 2 tablespoons of the oat flour and the lemon juice. Spread the cranberries evenly over the top of the coffee cake batter.
- In a small bowl mix together the oats, ½ cup of the oat flour, 2 tablespoons of honey and the ¼ cup of melted coconut oil. Sprinkle this over of the cranberries.
- Bake the cranberry coffee cake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until it puffs up slightly and the edges start to brown. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- Fresh Pineapple Margaritas with Sweet and Spicy Rim Salt - May 25, 2017
- Pan Fried Chicken and Mushrooms with Creamy Cauliflower Mash - May 23, 2017
- Lifesaving Lemony Salad Dressing - May 19, 2017