Before a camping trip last year I made the mistake of Googling ‘camping recipes' or ‘camping food.' Most of the ideas that I found were absolutely horrible; things I would never want to feed myself, or (if I had any) my children. Seriously, it was bad. Just for fun you should try it. Or don't, if your tastes are anything like mine you might end up a little nauseous.
So this year I've decided to post some of the recipes of the delicious camping food I've been eating. (Hope you don't get too tired of all the camping recipes I have planned for the next few days!) All the recipes are super easy and quick to make, plus they're healthy. They were also gobbled up by a toddler, so hopefully your kids will like them too.
These veggie burgers were my favourite camping meal. Seriously, they were insanely delicious. My sister made them at home, froze them and then packed them into the cooler for our third camping dinner. Some floury buns, lettuce, tomato and goat feta and voila, a wicked meal for the campfire.
These veggie burgers were full of flavour and had lots of texture from the roasted nuts and seeds. They are also low in fat with lots of healthy protein and handfuls of veggies.
I have yet to make these myself, but from what my sister tells me they are super easy. Don't be intimidated by the long list of ingredients, you basically throw everything into one bowl, mix it together and form into patties. They freeze really well so if you make more than you need just throw them in the freezer with a piece of parchment paper separating each patty. Do be a little careful with them as they are fairly soft until they cook.
If you make these Veggie Burgers make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1½ tablespoons chili powder
- 1-19 ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ cup parsley or cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- ½ cup almonds, roasted and chopped
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, roasted and chopped
- 3 cups panko or fine bread crumbs
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups carrots, grated
- 2 cups oats
- Flour for dredging
- Saute onion and garlic in the vegetable oil for 2 minutes. Add to a large bowl.
- Add all other ingredients and mix well. Form into patties and dust with flour on both sides.
- Heat a splash of oil in a pan. Add veggie patties, making sure not to crowd the pan. Cook until patties are brown on both sides.
- Serve on hamburger buns with lettuce, tomato, pickles and all the condiments you like.
Adapted from a recipe from Whitewater Cookbooks
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- Blog Income Report – February 2017 - March 23, 2017
- Creamy Roasted Carrot Soup with Crispy Chickpea Croutons - March 21, 2017
- Spring Veggie Enchiladas with Cilantro, Lime, Jalapeño Yogurt Sauce - March 19, 2017