Say the word Mexico and the first three things that pop into my head are sunshine, margaritas and tacos. By the time you are reading this I’ll be sitting on the beach in the sunshine with a margarita in hand and will be thinking about getting off my beach towel and making my way over to the taco stand with the longest line. Long lines = great food, or so my reasoning goes. I’m counting down the days till I can get my hands on an authentic Mexican taco. Till then I’ll be eating this very delicious but very gringo version of a taco.
Crispy fried white fish sit on top of crunchy and slightly sweet slaw and the whole thing with smothered in spicy, cilantro heavy guacamole. A little dollop of sour cream will help put out the flames in your mouth, if you have a thing against flames in your mouth.
The inspiration for this recipe is from Edible Canada at the Market. It is also pretty kick ass served with a large piece of battered and fried fish on a hamburger bun and topped with preserved lemon aioli. Eaten as a burger, it is my go to summer camping recipe. It’s super quick and easy to organize whether you are at home or beside a campfire.
- 2 cups green cabbage
- 1 carrot, grated
- ¼ cup red onion, minced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper
- 1½ – 2 lbs white fish, cut into cubes
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Oil for frying
- 8 large tortilla shells
- Aji guacamole
- Sour cream
- Combine the vinegar, honey and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside. Combine cabbage, carrot, onion and cilantro in a large bowl. Toss with dressing and set aside.
- Combine the flour and paprika in a resealable container. Add fish and toss to coat. Set floured fish aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan and fry fish for 1 minute per side, or until just cooked.
- Serve tortilla shells, fish, southwestern slaw, aji guacamole and sour cream at the table and let everyone put together their own tacos.
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- Blog Income Report – April 2016 - May 1, 2016
- Whipped Almond Butter Oatmeal with Caramelized Bananas - April 29, 2016
- Easy Vegetarian Skillet Lasagna with Kale Olive Pesto - April 26, 2016