I was approached by the rep for House Foods Tofu Shirataki recently to see if I would be interested in receiving a sample and possibly writing a review. For any product or cookbook review that I accept my policy is always the same: If I love it, I will review it. If I don’t, I won’t.
I’ll admit though, I was a bit skeptical at first about this one.
But … completely blown away once I tried it!
These noodles are made from a type of yam flour that has tons of healthy fibre and next to no calories. They’re also gluten free and vegan. Win, win, win!!
Tofu Shirataki noodles come packaged wet in little bags full of liquid and noodles. They look scary. They look like you wouldn’t like them. They don’t give a good first impression.
But don’t be afraid of their looks, like I was. They will blow you away with how good they are.
They are a little bit chewy and a lot more like a noodle than a pasta. I used the spaghetti noodles in this recipe and they reminded me of ramen or ichiban noodles. I guarantee that anytime I make a recipe that calls for angel hair pasta I will be using Tofu Shirataki Noodles instead. They have the same texture and hold up far better.
You’ll find Tofu Shirataki Noodles in the refrigerated section of your grocery store. At the market I shop at they were $1.60 a package, which is about enough for 1 person. They’re a lot more filling than regular noodles so you’ll find you need less than normal.
Oh ya, about the sauce. It’s creamy, peanut-y, coconut-y and oh so yummy. It’s comforting. It’ll make you want to eat a big bowl and go back for seconds.
Make sure to follow The Endless Meal!
- 2 packages Tofu Shirataki Noodles
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- ½ an onion, cut into slices
- A few handfuls of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Green onion, for garnish
- Oil for sautéing
- ¾ cup canned coconut milk
- ½ cup fresh or canned diced tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons ginger, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (about ½ a lime)
- 1½ teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- A pinch of salt
- Prepare the noodles according to package directions.
- Add all the sauce ingredients to a small pot and heat over medium high heat until it comes to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- Put a splash of oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add all veggies and cook for about 2-3 minutes, until they have softened slightly.
- Add noodles and sauce to the veggies and toss to coat. Serve in bowls and top with slices of green onion.