This deliciously moist carrot cake with cream cheese frosting is the direct result of a serious cake craving I had a few days ago. I don’t usually have much of a sweet tooth but these past few weeks all I want is sweets. Guys, it’s becoming a bit of a problem. This cake disappeared yesterday and already I’m craving it. Should I make it again or would that be an extreme case of gluttony? Two cakes in one week seems a bit extreme but it was just so damn good!
I had visions of this being a beautifully layered cake but when I pulled the two cake pans out of the oven my handsome man nearly yelled, “you made 2 cakes? You’re the best EVER!” After being told I am the best ever I couldn’t very well tell him that these 2 cakes were really only 1 cake. So … the two of us had 2 perfect carrot cakes smothered in cream cheese frosting. A whole carrot cake, each to ourselves! Life is so rough 😉
There’s a fairly decent amount of the cream cheese icing (and this from a girl who LOVES tons of icing). If you only like a small bit of icing on your cake, you may want to reduce the amount you make a little.
If you make Moist Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups finely grated carrots
- 1½ cups coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 cup shredded toasted coconut
- 1 cup raisins
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup grape seed oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (1-8 ounce package) cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups powered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325 Degrees. Grease and flour 2 - 9 inch round cake pans.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and sea salt.
- In another medium sized bowl stir together the carrots, walnuts, coconut and raisins.
- In a large bowl cream together the sugar and oil using an electric beater. Add eggs, one at a time, and continue to beat until smooth, about 30 seconds. Add flour mixture and beat till just combined. Gently fold in the carrot mixture.
- Divide batter between the 2 prepared cake pans. Place both pans on the middle rack in your oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 5 minutes. Carefully run a knife around the edges of each cake to loosen them then carefully invert them onto a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.
- Cream together the cream cheese and butter in a medium sized bowl using an electric beater. Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, and continue to mix until fully incorporated. Add the vanilla and beat to blend.
- Either spread the icing liberally on top of both cakes or spread some icing on top of 1, place the other cake on top and then frost the top and sides together.