This Wheat Berry Salad with Squash, Kale, Currant and Walnuts is absolutely delicious and healthy for me. This salad is a great vegetarian side dish!
- 1 cup wheat berries (or substitute kamut or spelt for a gluten free dish)
- 2 cups broth or water
- 1 ½ cups kale, chopped
- 2 cups (12 ounces) diced kaboucha squash (or substitute butternut squash)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
- ½ cup dried currants
- Sea salt, to taste
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons walnut or argan oil
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- Combine the wheat berries and the broth or water in a small pot over high heat. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low. Simmer, covered for 30-40 minutes, or until the wheat berries are chewy but not crunchy. Remove the pot from the heat, add in the kale and mix it through. Let it sit for about 1 minute, or until the kale has just started to soften. Drain any remaining water from the pot.
- Preheat the oven to 420 degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Toss the diced squash with the olive oil and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bale in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until it is soft.
- While the squash is in the oven roast the walnuts on a baking sheet for 8-10 minutes, or until they are light brown and fragrant. Roughly chop them when they are cool enough to handle.
- In a small bowl whisk together the walnut or argan oil, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and garlic.
- In a large bowl mix together the cooked wheat berries, kale, walnuts and currants. Toss with the dressing and season generously with sea salt.
This dish can also be served at room temperature. Assemble the salad but wait until just before you serve it to toss it with the dressing as the wheat berries will quickly soak it up.