This Quinoa Chili is 100% vegan + vegetarian and SO delicious. A small handful of dark chocolate gives it the most beautiful richness and depth.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1–2 tablespoon chili powder (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans beans
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or honey
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes, or until it is soft and brown. Add the carrots, celery and bell pepper and continue to cook until the vegetables are all soft and begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the cocoa powder, chili powder, oregano and chili flakes to the pot and let them cook until they are fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and let it cook, stirring frequently, until it begins to caramelize, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, beans, molasses and brown sugar or honey and 4 cups of water to the pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add the quinoa to the pot and let the pot simmer for another 10 minutes, or until the quinoa is cooked. Add the chocolate and stir the pot until it melts.