This delicious custardy Baked Vegan French Toast is dotted with cranberries and drizzled with cranberry maple syrup. It’s an easy to make breakfast recipe that can be assembled a day in advance and popped in the oven before you’re ready to eat. It’s perfect for Christmas morning!
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into large cubes
- 2 1/2 cups milk of choice (almond milk works great!)
- 3 tablespoons ground flax
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
Cranberry maple syrup:
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- Grease a casserole dish with a little coconut oil. Place the bread cubes in a large bowl.
- Whisk the milk, ground flax, nutritional yeast, cinnamon, and a pinch of sea salt in a medium-sized bowl. Pour over the bread cubes and toss gently to coat. Transfer the bread cubes to the casserole dish. Scatter the cranberries over top and press the bread down gently. You can either bake the French toast right away or cover it and leave it in your fridge overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 350. Bake the French toast, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. Let it stand for 5 minutes before you cut into it.
- While the French toast is baking, make the cranberry syrup. Bring the syrup and cranberries to a boil in a small pot over medium-high heat. Let it continue to boil until the cranberries start to pop, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Note: if you do not have a high-powered blender, strain the syrup through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any solid pieces.
- Serve the French toast with the cranberry syrup on the side for everyone to pour themselves.