Toasted Coconut Ice Cream is about to become your new favorite dairy-free ice cream recipe. Sweet and creamy coconut milk is loaded with chewy toasted coconut and had a hint of vanilla. It’s delicious!
- 2 cups shredded coconut, divided
- 2 14-ounce cans unsweetened coconut milk (minimum 60% coconut extract)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks, optional (vegan or paleo, if needed)
- Place the coconut in a large pan over medium heat. Stir occasionally for about 5 minutes, or until it smells fragrant and is golden brown.
- Add the coconut milk and coconut sugar to a small pot and warm over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the pot from the heat and stir in the vanilla and 1 1/2 cups of the toasted coconut. Place the pot in your fridge until the coconut milk is cold.
- Process the coconut ice cream in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturers directions. If using, stir in the chocolate chunks.
- Serve with the remaining toasted coconut sprinkled over the top.
No Churn Toasted Coconut Ice Cream
Pour the cold coconut milk into a shallow pan and place it in your freezer. After 1 hour, remove the pan and scrape the ice cream with a fork and mix it around. Put it back into your freezer for another hour. Repeat these steps 2-3 more times, until the ice cream is frozen and creamy. If using, stir the chocolate chunks through the ice cream after the last time you scrape it with a fork.