Of all the salads I’ve tried, I think this is The Best Kale Salad. It’s loaded with crispy bacon, toasted pecans, sweet tomatoes, and creamy avocado and Boursin cheese. There are also some caramelized onions in here, which might sound a bit strange, but taste incredible. You will LOVE it!
| gluten-free + paleo adaptable |
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar (or sub apple cider vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot, very finely minced
- 1 small garlic clove, very finely minced
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- A pinch of sea and pepper
For the salad:
- ¾ cup pecans
- 4 strips of bacon
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups curly kale, packed, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces, from about 4 stalks
- 2 tablespoons Boursin cheese (omit for paleo)
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped
- 2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the white balsamic, honey, dijon mustard, shallot, and garlic. Slowly whisk in the oil in a slow and steady stream. Whisking the oil in slowly will help it to emulsify and become creamy. Season the dressing lightly with a pinch of sea salt and a few cranks of fresh cracked pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 375. Place the pecans on a baking tray and toast in the oven for 6-7 minutes, or until they are light brown and fragrant. Watch them carefully as they burn easily.
- Cut the bacon into 1-inch pieces and place them in a large frying pan over medium heat. Fry the bacon for 7-8 minutes, or until it is crispy but not burnt. Immediately remove the pan from the heat and, using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon from the pan. Remove all but 2 teaspoons of bacon fat from the pan Reserve the bacon fat for another recipe – like this one.
- Add the thinly sliced onions to the pan. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, for 10-12 minutes, or until they are quite soft and light brown.
- Add the kale, Boursin cheese, pecans, bacon, caramelized onions, carrot, avocado, cherry tomatoes to a large bowl. Toss with the dressing and serve immediately.