Turn your leftover turkey into the most delicious turkey soup you will ever eat. Once you make turkey soup this way you’ll never make it any other way again.
- A small splash of oil
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- A big handful of shiitake mushrooms, cut in half
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, julienned
- A handful of cherry tomatoes
- 4 cups turkey stock (can substitute chicken stock)
- 1 cup shredded cooked turkey (or chicken) meat
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons good quality green Thai curry paste*
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 handfuls of sprouts
- Salt to taste
- A small handful of cilantro
- Optional: a good squirt of sriracha
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onions and cook till they begin to soften. Add shiitake mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes, or until they are soft. Add garlic, ginger and cherry tomatoes and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add turkey stock, turkey meat, coconut milk, good quality curry paste* and soy sauce. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add bell pepper and sprouts.
- Taste and add salt as necessary. (If you’ve made your own turkey stock and haven’t salted it you will need to add a fair bit here.)
- Pour into large bowls and garnish with cilantro and optional sriracha.
*I always use Amoy or Mei Jin Thai curry pastes and both are excellent.
The only brand that I have tried but wouldn’t recommend for this recipe is Thai Kitchen as it is spicy but not very flavourful.