This Thai Chopped Salad with sweet sesame mango dressing and crispy won tons is THE BEST! It’s about to become your favorite salad recipe. Turn it into a dinner salad by topping it with your favorite protein. You’re going to love this recipe!
For the Sweet Sesame Mango Dressing:
- 1/2 ripe mango, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons honey (sub maple syrup for vegan)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon miso (gluten-free soy sauce, if needed)
- 1 – 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Optional: 1 Thai red chili
- Sea salt, to taste
For the Crispy Wonton Strips:
- Neutral flavored oil, for frying
- 1/4 package (3 ounces) of wontons, cut into strips (omit crispy wontons for gluten-free)
For the Thai Chopped Salad:
- 1 cup frozen edamame beans
- 4 cups mixed greens, kale or spinach
- 2 cups red cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup sugar or snap peas, cut in half
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 mangoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 orange, cut into segments (see notes)
- 1 handful of cilantro
- 1/2 cup toasted cashews
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Add all the dressing ingredients to your blender with 1/2 cup of water and blend on high until smooth. Taste and season with sea salt.
- Heat 1-inch of oil in a medium-sized frying pan over medium-high heat until it is shimmering. Working in batches, add the wonton strips to the oil and fry until golden and crispy, about 20-30 seconds per batch. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside on a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle a little sea salt over top, if you’d like.
- Bring the edamame to a boil in a small pot of water for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Add all the salad ingredients to a large salad bowl and toss with the dressing. Top the salad with crispy wonton strips and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
To cut the orange segments you will need a very sharp knife. Cut the bottom and top off of the orange then use your knife to cut off the peel. Holding the orange in your hand, carefully cut between each membrane to release the orange slices. If you don’t have a very sharp knife, peel the orange as you would if you were going to eat it.
To make this Thai Chopped Salad ahead of time: Combine all the salad ingredients EXCEPT the orange segments and mangoes and store in a sealed bag. Place the orange segments and mangoes in another bag. Make the dressing and the crispy wontons and store each separately. Toss just before serving.