This easy to make lemon curd has a the perfect balance between tangy and sweet. It is great in tarts, pies, on cookies or even on its own. You will LOVE it!
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 lemons, zest and juice
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into 9 pieces
- Add 2 inches of water to the bottom of a double boiler. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium
- In the top pot of the double boiler add egg yolks and sugar and whisk for 1 minute. Combine 1/3 cup of lemon juice (add water if necessary) and zest to egg yolk mixture and whisk till smooth
- Continue whisking mixture over the simmering water for 8-15 minutes. The longer you ‘cook’ the egg mixture, the thicker it will be. I cooked mine for 15 minutes
- Remove from heat and stir in butter 1 piece at a time
- Pour into a clean jar and cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface
- Try your best not to eat it all at once!
Will keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks
Although the recipe calls for making this in a double-broiler, I did not. When I make hollandaise and other similar egg based sauces I always just hold the pot an inch off of the element. I find the sauces thickens quicker this way, and I have fewer dishes to do in the end. You will run the risk of actually cooking the egg, and you do not want bits of cooked egg in your sauce. The choice is yours, the safe way or the lazy way