This sweet potato chili is a vegan chili recipe that’s loaded with tender sweet potatoes and hardy chickpeas. We love this healthy chili recipe as it’s easy to make and is always a hit at the dinner table.
✨ If you love this sweet potato chili recipe as much as I do, make sure to give it a 5-star review in the comments below!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ cup of chili powder
- 2 teaspoons each: oregano and cumin
- 10 drops of liquid smoke (see notes)
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (can sub honey or maple syrup)
- 2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and let it cook for 5 minutes. Chop the sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, peppers, and garlic and add them to the pot as you finish cutting them.
- Add the chili powder, oregano, cumin, and liquid smoke and mix well. Pour in the crushed tomatoes and stock. Add the coconut sugar and bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and corn to the pot and let them warm. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Liquid smoke a natural product and is found near the BBQ sauces is most grocery stores. It’s a great way to add a bit of smokiness and depth to a vegan chili recipe.