This easy to make Asian eggplant recipe is full of flavour. It’s naturally vegan + paleo + gluten free and takes less than 20 minutes to make!
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 medium onion, julienned
- 3 long eggplants (about 2 lb. total), quartered and cut into 3-inch spears
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Sichuan pepper
- 1 cup stock, divided
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or coco aminos for paleo)
- 1 tablespoon garlic chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinkiang vinegar (or sub rice vinegar or red wine vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon honey (or maple syrup for vegan)
- 1 teaspoon corn starch (or tapioca starch for paleo)
- Chopped cilantro and toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Heat the grapeseed oil and sesame oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes. Add the eggplant, ginger, garlic and Sichuan pepper and stir together. Pour 3/4 cup of the stock over top and cover the pan. Let the eggplant braise for 10 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- In a small bowl mix the remaining 1/4 cup of water with the soy sauce or coco aminos, garlic chili sauce, Chinkiang vinegar, honey, and corn or tapioca starch.
- Once the eggplant is soft, pour the mixture in the small bowl over top and mix well. Let the sauce cook and thicken for 1 minute.
- Remove the eggplant from the heat, sprinkle with chopped cilantro and sesame seeds and serve immediately.