Stovetop BBQ chicken is a quick and easy recipe that you can make year-round whenever you’re craving BBQ flavor. No need to fire up the grill!
- 8 boneless chicken thighs (see notes about how to make this with chicken breast)
- 1 teaspoon EACH: garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika
- ½ teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- ½ cup bbq sauce
- Season the chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken thighs and cook until they start to brown, about 4 minutes. Flip them over and cook for another 4 minutes. They should be mostly cooked at this point. If your chicken thighs are very large, you may need to cook them for an additional minute or two.
- Lower the heat to medium then pour the BBQ sauce into the pan and mix the chicken around so that all the pieces are well coated. Continue to cook the chicken for 2 minutes more, or until the chicken is cooked and the BBQ sauce is thick.
To make this recipe using 4 chicken breasts instead of the thighs, add ½ cup water or chicken stock to the pan when you add the BBQ sauce. Continue to cook the chicken breasts for 8-10 minutes, or until they are fully cooked and the sauce thickens.